• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

anyone know when Formica rubicunda fly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hunter - Posted November 17 2017 - 6:39 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

or any formica

#2 Offline Penguin - Posted November 17 2017 - 6:58 AM

Penguin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I'm not sure how different your schedule for nuptial flights are from mine, but in Toronto they fly in bulk in July and some small flights in late June and early August.

(Since some other members live in Maine too I would trust them to answer this better than me) :whistle:

I'm here to learn, mostly. 

:hi:

#3 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted November 17 2017 - 9:19 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

In New England, Formica species often fly during early summer. Formica subseriscea is an oddball, because I have seen alates from june to september.

Also, Formica rubicunda (and other slave raiders) are notoriously difficult to raise. You will have to supply your queen with thousands of Formica pupae every year. If you really want to raise a slave raider, it would be a better idea to have a non-parasitic Formica colony prepared beforehand to supply you with pupae. 

I would suggest trying Polyergus, they are a beautiful red Formica slave raider with a remarkable life style.

Edited by Connectimyrmex, November 17 2017 - 9:23 AM.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted November 17 2017 - 11:01 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

You shouldn't keep obligate raiding species at all, because they are not suited to live captivity and do almost nothing but sit around or search in vain for host colonys (ignoring food in the process). If you happen to find Formica aserva in July, that is a species from the sanguinea group that needs host workers only temporarily. Formica social parasites outside of the sanguinea group are similarly independent.

Formica in general fly from July to September, although some of the thatch-building species will have flights earlier in the year. Get them ID'd in a thread, because Formica identification takes an experienced eye.

I've kept a few raiding Formica in my time, and F. aserva is the only one which has survived long term. They are also some of the only nearctic, sanguinea-group Formica seen doing things outside of the nest other than July raiding.

Edited by Batspiderfish, November 17 2017 - 11:14 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users