• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tampa Florida, 11-18-2017

florida centralflorida harvesterants ants ant south central harvester

Best Answer VoidElecent , November 18 2017 - 2:29 PM

What a lovely post! :)

I think your ant is a Pheidole major worker, Ph. obscurithorax, perhaps. I believe the common name for Pheidole is 'Big-Headed Ants'.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Roku9710 - Posted November 18 2017 - 2:07 PM

Roku9710

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

If you would provide the common, scientific, and the cast of ant it would be greatly appreciated. 

1. Location of collection: This ant was captured in central Florida, Tampa Area.

2. Date of collection: 11-18-17. However- it was obtained from an excavated nest. 

3. Habitat of collection: In a sandy area under an oak tree. 

4. Length: 4-5mm. 

5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture: This is a dark ant. The head has a red hue & the gaster has a striped pattern of black and a dark red. 

6. Distinguishing characteristics: This ant was bigger than most workers but about the same length as the big-headed workers in the colony. It's Gaster was bigger than the others. 

7. Anything else distinctive: Colony was polymorphic. There were small workers and workers (majors?) with big heads and large mandibles. The brood was not in a cocoon. You could see an white ant shape larva (I hope I'm using the terms correctly). I also observed some of these ants that had yet to develop be an orange color that I assume means they would soon be ready to awaken. The workers enjoyed a cap full of ground hemp seeds I fed them.

8. Nest description: Nest was small, not a large mound. It was in sandy soil. 

9. Nuptial flight time and date: N/A Taken from excavated nest

Again, if you would provide the common, scientific, and the cast of ant it would be greatly appreciated. 

Attached Files

Edited by Roku9710, November 18 2017 - 2:10 PM.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted November 18 2017 - 2:29 PM   Best Answer

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I think your ant is a Pheidole major worker, Ph. obscurithorax, perhaps. I believe the common name for Pheidole is 'Big-Headed Ants'.

• Spamdy, FeedTheAnts and Roku9710 like this

#3 Offline Spamdy - Posted November 18 2017 - 7:53 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

I second Pheidole obscurithorax, common here in Houston and as I've heard, invasive-like in Florida.

• Roku9710 likes this

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: florida, centralflorida, harvesterants, ants, ant, south, central, harvester

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users