• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Destructive ants vs non-destructive ants?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Bugdaddy - Posted November 21 2017 - 6:53 AM

Bugdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationColorado, United States

I tried searching, but couldn't locate anything. 

Is there any cheat sheet or "Pro tips" On which ants can chew through softer nest materials, and which ones can't?

Like many of you probably know, my first queen is going to be a Tetramorium sp. It's to my understanding that they CAN chew through Ytong.

(I asked the discord chat, general consensus was that.)

"And it was to my infinite despair and pain... That it was not the hornets that made honey."

#2 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted November 21 2017 - 5:23 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

harvesters, most of the ants that can chew through ytong tend to be myrmicinae.  

#3 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 22 2017 - 12:27 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Any species CAN chew through Ytong (or plaster, grout, or firebrick, for that matter), if determined enough. Just make sure that they are happy in their setup, and they won't feel the need to attempt to escape. However, Tetramorium sp. is not particularly destructive, at least that I'm aware of. In fact, Tetramorium immigrans (previously known as Tetramorium sp. E) is one of the most adaptable species in North America. They will accept virtually all food, and nest pretty much anywhere. If you want to try building a homemade formicarium, this is the best species to do it with. Some genera that are destructive (aka more likely to try to escape through chewing their way out) are Solenopsis, PheidoleMessor, and Pogonomyrmex. Despite their infamous wood gnawing tendencies, Camponotus is actually somewhere in between destructive and non-destructive. If you are still worried, there are other formicarium materials that can't be gnawed through, such as 3D printed (such as AntsRussia's modular nest, AntWorlds' nests, AntzForAll's nests, and byFormica's nests) and acrylic (such as AntsRussia's AFK-2, AFK-8, and AFK-8.1, AntsAustralia's acrylic nest series, Antkit's acrylic nest series, British Ants' nests, and AntHouse's acrylic nests). 

Hope this Helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users