• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

wasps as pets?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline neoponera - Posted January 13 2019 - 8:28 AM

neoponera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Locationnuevoleon mexico

I,ve noticed that few people are interested on wasps. information on the internet is scarce.

I'm planning to keep wasps as pests this year with an exo terra enclosure. any advices?

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 15 2019 - 5:24 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

They need some space. Even if you see people say their colonies are small, they can get big. Mine got too hard too feed with workers escaping right and left. I had to let them free range behind a bush. If your free ranging them, let your queen get a starter nest. Chill her container, remove nest, secure on new nest site, and place chilled queen on nest. If your keeping them in a container, make sure it's big enough and that it has feeding ports for insects and to refill honey and water dishes. Try to hand feed colonies/queens so they get used to you or just spend lots of time around the colony/queen so that they ignore you or even accept you. Wasps can become friendly. Also note that each worker has a different personality and may be aggressive, shy, territorial, ect. Chill workers and apply a unique mark to show their temperament.(If you want to.) Always respect their current attitude and boundaries to avoid stings.

• dermy, Enderz, Ant Broski and 1 other like this

#3 Offline neoponera - Posted March 10 2019 - 7:53 AM

neoponera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Locationnuevoleon mexico

those are a lot of helpful advices. thanks

#4 Offline neoponera - Posted April 29 2019 - 4:21 PM

neoponera

Advanced Member