• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Two Questions: Temnothorax & Camponotus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BMM - Posted October 24 2017 - 3:36 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I've got two unrelated questions:

1. Does anyone have any good tips for getting Temnothorax curvispinosus to move out of a test tube? I have one colony that's really booming, but their cotton is dark pink and the water is bright yellow. I'm planning to hibernate them in about a week or so and I really don't want to leave them in that test tube for several months. The problem is that they won't budge. Light doesn't seem to bug them and they won't move towards or away from heat. Due to how tiny they are, I really don't want try moving them by hand.

2. Does anyone have any experience with Camponotus chewing through plastics? I'm thinking about using PETG tubing, similar to what soda bottles are made, for a formicarium and I'm a little concerned that they may be able to chew through it at some point.

#2 Offline Spamdy - Posted October 24 2017 - 6:04 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

If all fails you may want to consider dumping them into an outworld with the new test tube in it. 

I think Ants Michigan has experience with Camponotus and vinyl tubing. I believe that he had a huge Camponotus noveboracensis colony, in which they were able to chew off parts of the tubing. But only large colonies can start actually doing much damage. I don't really know how hard PETG tubing is having no experience with it. You will have to test the durability of a PETG vs. vinyl tubing.

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#3 Offline Hunter - Posted October 25 2017 - 5:30 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

for 2 i would use a peyrporothen vinal piping, most hardware stores sell it and my camp pennsylvanicus majors can't get threw it

#4 Offline BMM - Posted October 25 2017 - 6:08 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I should clarify for my second question that I'm not using it as a replacement for PVC (vinyl) tubing. It's far too rigid for that. I'm using it to make small clear chambers for a formicarium. Also, as I mentioned, these tubes are very similar to the plastic that soda bottles are made of, just a little stronger or more rigid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users