• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Bugging3out's Paratrechina Longicornis Journal

black crazy ants ants ant keeping antkeeping ant paratrechina longicornis invasive ants invasves exotic ants buging3out

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Bugging3out - Posted December 31 2021 - 6:40 PM

Bugging3out

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York

Hello guys! I just got back from Florida with my magnificent Black crazy ant colony! I have made a journal on them before and people trashed it with mean comments about how i am transporting invasive ants. Listen closely on this, I DON'T CARE BECAUSE I AM NOT LETTING THEM ESCAPE! There I said it. If they don't get out they can't do any harm. So please do not write any nasty comments on my beloved journal. So back to my ants. So I caught this colony in a Ficus tree in FL. They have about 12-15 Fertile egg-laying Queen ants. They also have a estimate of 700-1,000 Worker ants. They have 10 MASSIVE piles of brood. I expect this colony to get sooooooo BIG. In the past I have had Black crazy ants even though in my last journal i said i didn't. I thought it may have made you guys to give me more advise I may have not picked up on. (Awkwardness in the air right now.)

So when I said that I once had a black crazy ant colony the colony got to 100,000 and produced Alataes. The next thing I know the colony produced more fertile queens. The colony died at 300,00 workers because of a blood sucking mite plague. RIP.  :( 

So my point is this colony is going to create more queens making them immortal ants.

I am going to post update Wednesday and post pictures Monday. 

Bye guys! 

P.S. What should we name the colony? Post what you think we should name the colony by Wednesday and Ill take all the names you guys posted and put a poll so we all can vote on. Feel free to try to name all 12 queens!  :lol:  

don't SAY ANYTHING MEAN  :warning:  :mad:  (n)

• PaigeX likes this

peace!  :afro:

#2 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted December 31 2021 - 7:04 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

well I didn't plan on letting my honeypots escape and I still got a permit oh and I doubt you got them to 30000 workers maybe 50000 but not 300000  idk for names

Edited by Antkeeper01, December 31 2021 - 7:05 PM.

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#3 Offline Bugging3out - Posted December 31 2021 - 8:17 PM

Bugging3out

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York

well I didn't plan on letting my honeypots escape and I still got a permit oh and I doubt you got them to 30000 workers maybe 50000 but not 300000  idk for names

I don't mean to go off topic but why did you cross out everything? And correction, it's 300,000 not 30,000. And i did get them to three-hundred thousand workers. 

I am sorry if that sounds rude I don't mean for it to sound rude.

#4 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 1 2022 - 12:46 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

Man! 300,000 must have been had to control, well done on that! and sorry you lost them to parasites. 
As for the name of the queens. 12 days of Christmas for 12 queens is what came to my mind xD

For the colony name... hm.. Maybe "The Black Midnight Runners" or "Daylight Runners"

Edited by PaigeX, January 1 2022 - 12:47 AM.

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 1 2022 - 4:15 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Name them The Next Big Invasive Species.
  • Antkeeper01, Ecan and AntBoi3030 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted January 1 2022 - 11:17 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

I don't mean to go off topic but why did you cross out everything? And correction, it's 300,000 not 30,000. And i did get them to three-hundred thousand workers. 

I see you are using the antscanada way of estimating

• Ecan and azzaaazzzz00 like this

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

#7 Offline antsriondel - Posted January 1 2022 - 11:52 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

P.S. What should we name the colony? Post what you think we should name the colony 

the: crazy ants,

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#8 Offline Idontexist - Posted January 1 2022 - 1:19 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Shut Up guys this is cool

#9 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted January 1 2022 - 1:29 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

ŵħØ Æʂʞëď‽

Edited by Antkeeper01, January 1 2022 - 1:32 PM.

#10 Offline Bugging3out - Posted January 1 2022 - 5:48 PM

Bugging3out

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York

1,000% you are correct. Yet once again people tend to be disapointing.

#11 Offline Bugging3out - Posted January 1 2022 - 5:55 PM

Bugging3out

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York

Name them The Next Big Invasive Species.

I'd really appreciate you to stop trolling me and annoying me. I understand you mean good but I feel like you are following me and my Journals and crapping on them. Thanks. 

#12 Offline Bugging3out - Posted January 1 2022 - 6:02 PM

Bugging3out

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York

Man! 300,000 must have been had to control, well done on that! and sorry you lost them to parasites. 
As for the name of the queens. 12 days of Christmas for 12 queens is what came to my mind xD

For the colony name... hm.. Maybe "The Black Midnight Runners" or "Daylight Runners"

Yes the colony that died was very hard to control and i had escapees very often and they constantly needed more formicariums and outworlds. 

Your name sugestions will be counted and voted for Wensday. Thank you for voting and happy new year!

Edited by Bugging3out, January 1 2022 - 6:02 PM.

• PaigeX likes this

#13 Offline Bugging3out - Posted January 1 2022 - 6:03 PM

Bugging3out

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York

ŵħØ Æʂʞëď‽

????????

#14 Offline Bugging3out - Posted January 1 2022 - 6:11 PM

Bugging3out

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York

P.S. What should we name the colony? Post what you think we should name the colony 

Your suggestion is going to be in the vote. Thank you and happy new year!

#15 Offline antsriondel - Posted January 2 2022 - 2:08 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Your suggestion is going to be in the vote. Thank you and happy new year!

you too!!!!!! :)  (y)

#16 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted January 3 2022 - 7:38 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

That's above the average colony size so I doubt its possible. Usually they get to 90k tops from what I've seen and captive colonies usually reach 10k at their best. Only small colonies succumb to mite infections since large BCA colonies grow faster than the mites can spread. And The fact that you think you can keep them in is concerning. Even experienced antkeepers find it hard to prevent the entire colony from getting loose. Your colony may not be as large as you think due to them grouping up and sprinting around making it hard to guess.

• AntBoi3030 likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#17 Offline antsriondel - Posted January 29 2022 - 1:56 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

update??

#18 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted March 9 2022 - 6:41 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I kinda miss this journal ngl... I wonder what happened to OP?

Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: black crazy ants, ants, ant keeping, antkeeping, ant, paratrechina longicornis, invasive ants, invasves, exotic ants, buging3out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users