• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tree Frog Death

tree frogs frogs green tree frogs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted September 27 2017 - 2:57 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

So I had 3 green tree frogs, and two of them just passed away within a few days of each other. They were both acting fine before. Does anyone know what might have caused them to die? Should I be worried about my remaining frog dying? Please help!

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 30 2017 - 9:59 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I just caught one of these last night and put it into a terrarium(off topic journal probably coming soon). I hope this does not happen to mine. What species was yours?

• Mettcollsuss likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted October 4 2017 - 5:33 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I just caught one of these last night and put it into a terrarium(off topic journal probably coming soon). I hope this does not happen to mine. What species was yours?

The species is Hyla cinera (Green Tree Frog). I didn't catch it. For my birthday someone got me a coupon to order them online from Carolina Biological Supply. I ordered two, but there was a mistake and they sent four. The setup they came in was unsuitable for them and one escaped and I found it half-dead the next morning with my cat playing with it. It died later. I the remaining three and moved them into a terrarium. I have two females and one male (but no eggs or tadpoles, thankfully, even though there are puddles. But if you have the same species that I do, don't make the water deeper than 1 inch, as they can't swim and will drown). I've had them for about a year now, feeding them one small cricket each(bought from pet store) every other day (once a week, coat the crickets two types of vitamin powder (also at pet store), called Repti-Calcium and HerptiVite). They were doing fine and haven't shown any signs of illness, which was why I was so surprised when they died, as their lifespan is 2-3 years.  If you frog is the same as mine here's a few tips: 1) Males croak VERY loudly during the spring; I now wear earplugs at night during the spring. 2) Will also accept superworms and mealworms (cut in half, one half for each frog), but I don't recommend the mealworms as their tough exoskeletons aren't able to be digested. (Will also accept ants, too, haha  :D)    3) They are rainforest creatures, so they love a very moist enclosure, mist at least twice a day.     4) Are cold-blooded, a heat lamp is recommended at all times, but needed during winter if your area experiences a cold winter.   5) They love plants to hide in, but if you don't want plants, you can buy fake vines.   Good luck with your frog!

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#4 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted October 8 2017 - 3:34 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
If you got them as adults, their time might be done if their age was not specified...a picture of the setup would be nice

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#5 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted October 8 2017 - 8:23 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

The remaining one is still alive and healthy. I'll try and add photos later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users