• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

George's Great Gold Digger Wasp journal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline GeorgeK - Posted June 21 2018 - 11:06 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

So while looking for queens, i spotted one what looked like ant queen digging into ground. I took test tube and just slowly thrusted in ground around what i believe to be queen and scooped her up with dirt and closed test tube. After that i didn't think or look much ( it was about to rain, and i was far from home ) so i just put it in my bag and went back on getting home and looking for queens while I'm walking. When i got home i realized that i scooped up was in fact a wasp.

9PxzWYQ.jpg

ePQqUbU.jpg

4rw4NNg.jpg

Images after I got home

After little thinking, i decided to put her in test tube setup with dirt inside. I filled the test tube around halfway thru with dirt. I used rather large test tube because i wanted her to be able to dig quite a lot to feel safe.

bOORjB6.jpg

Pre-digging test tube

After setting up that test tube, i moved her inside that tube and gave her honey for sugar and fly/cricket since i did not know what she would prefer.

qnMqC2P.jpg

H2r5Occ.jpg

dNTq7Om.jpg

Really just few pictures of her drinking sugar

After eating, she got straight to work and started digging. While its hard to picture it ( no contrast really, its all just dirt ) i noticed she is digging spirally around the test tube. She has moved quite a lot of dirt in short period of digging ( around 30 mintues )

qsgWcwq.jpg

Post digging pictures

She also dug out a slightly larger chamber where she currently is. Thankfully chamber is visible when i remove cover of test tube ( i made a tight fitting bag out of paper and black duct tape for this test tube ).

Uu3233x.jpg

Very bad picture of wasp inside her chamber

While its hard to see in picture, chamber is quite visible when looked at with naked eye. Right now she still hasnt touched any food ( maybe because all i gave her was dead? ). Anyways, after searching a little i found out it is in fact GGD wasp and that they mostly grow their young by paralising katydids and burying them in their chambers. Tommorow i will go and find some live katydids that i will toss in tube and see if she reacts to them. I plan to release queen back into the wild in around 2 weeks, during which period i hope she will lay eggs on katydids.

I will post updates as there is something to update on.

• Barristan, Martialis and AntsBC like this

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted June 21 2018 - 1:39 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I believe these type of wasps will only make one burrow per egg, so you may need to provide more tubes for her.  I'm just basing this off of Ampulex compressa as well as some other species.

#3 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 21 2018 - 2:53 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

This is not a great golden digger, either a Tiphiid or Scoliid. Both groups are parasitoids on beetle larva. Also please put the locality in the body of the text, not everyone looks over at your profile.

Edited by gcsnelling, June 21 2018 - 2:56 PM.

• GeorgeK likes this

#4 Offline GeorgeK - Posted October 18 2018 - 12:57 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

I completely forgot about this. After some time, I couldn't get wasp to take any food that wasn't honey, so I ended up releasing her in my garden.

As such, this journal is discontinued?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users