• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

TennesseeAnts Tree Frog Terrarium

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted October 1 2017 - 8:20 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Caught this cute little baby gray Tree Frog the other day and put it in an empty terrarium I had. The tank is 10 gallons and is a tall tank with a door on the front, it is made for tree frogs. I'm gonna try and catch some 1 or 2 more(they come to my windows at night)and put them in the tank. It'll be a frog world!

DSC 0403

• rdurham02 likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#2 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted October 1 2017 - 9:04 AM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Adorable! Make sure to get a steady supply of crickets and a small pool of water for them to bathe in (which you will need to change the water in every couple of days since they tend to excrete in it). Tree frogs also love a nice dark place to sleep in during the day, and a good misting in the evening. 

I'd also recommend you be careful about introducing another frog, if both are male they may not get along. And if they are of opposite sex they may mate... It's up to you if want that dilemma on your hands.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#3 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted October 1 2017 - 11:32 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Adorable! Make sure to get a steady supply of crickets and a small pool of water for them to bathe in (which you will need to change the water in every couple of days since they tend to excrete in it). Tree frogs also love a nice dark place to sleep in during the day, and a good misting in the evening. 

I'd also recommend you be careful about introducing another frog, if both are male they may not get along. And if they are of opposite sex they may mate... It's up to you if want that dilemma on your hands.

Thanks! Is it okay to use a peanut butter jar lid as the pool, or some other kind of plastic lid? I'm kinda plastic phobic(chemicals), especially since the frog will be soaking in it.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, October 1 2017 - 11:33 AM.

#4 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted October 1 2017 - 12:45 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Thanks! Is it okay to use a peanut butter jar lid as the pool, or some other kind of plastic lid? I'm kinda plastic phobic(chemicals), especially since the frog will be soaking in it.

Good question, you should make sure you use a dish/lid that has not been made with any toxic materials and that it has been thoroughly soaked before given to your frog. Be mindful not to use soap since a frog's skin is extremely sensitive and the smallest amount of a foreign substance could harm it. 

Keep in mind that this is a wild frog and is not accustomed to domestic environments, it will need some time before adjusting to its new home and may get stressed out very easily so you will need to be extremely cautious and patient when handling it. 

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#5 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted October 1 2017 - 1:16 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Good question, you should make sure you use a dish/lid that has not been made with any toxic materials and that it has been thoroughly soaked before given to your frog. Be mindful not to use soap since a frog's skin is extremely sensitive and the smallest amount of a foreign substance could harm it. 

Keep in mind that this is a wild frog and is not accustomed to domestic environments, it will need some time before adjusting to its new home and may get stressed out very easily so you will need to be extremely cautious and patient when handling it. 

Thank you so much for your help.

#6 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 1 2017 - 1:40 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Nice! I'm keeping an adorable baby Spring Peeper as of now.

I would actually recommend feeding him/her Lasius neoniger queens to start her off, because they are high in protein and fat and are likely to be a chorus/tree frog's main source of food in the fall months. Later on you can feed her crickets and waxworms.

• noebl1 likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#7 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted October 1 2017 - 5:10 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

No problem Tennessee. I kept tree frogs for 5 or 6 years, let me know if you ever need any more help. 

#8 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted October 1 2017 - 5:56 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Oh my god it's adorable! We have them here too but I've never seen one.

#9 Offline noebl1 - Posted October 1 2017 - 6:01 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Nice! I'm keeping an adorable baby Spring Peeper as of now.

I would actually recommend feeding him/her Lasius neoniger queens to start her off, because they are high in protein and fat and are likely to be a chorus/tree frog's main source of food in the fall months. Later on you can feed her crickets and waxworms.

That actually makes a lot of sense.  We had a bunch of the Grey Tree frogs from this year's hatching that would sit on the deck at night, and collect a lot of the insects attracted to the solar lights.  They stayed on the deck through most of the late summer, and a couple of weeks ago during the large Lasius flights, they were indeed gorging themselves on them.

#10 Offline noebl1 - Posted October 1 2017 - 6:07 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

We have them here by the millions.  We have a seasonal pond on the property, and a bunch of vernal pools near by, so they are literally everywhere here.  There's a couple days in the summer when they finally leave the pond, they are everywhere, and I mean *everywhere*.  It's creepy as you'll look at bushes, deck chairs, potted plants, etc and see multiple ones.  It's awful too as they get squished by doors, feet, cars...  Their call is pretty loud and distinct; guarantee you've heard them.  Last summer during the drought, our seasonal pond dried up by July (this year it was wet all summer).  The Grey Tree frogs laid in our large tub we usually put pond plants and small fish in during that drought.   We watched them mature from tadpole to froglets; pretty neat.  I've been tempted to grab some, but just one more thing to care for :)

#11 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 1 2017 - 6:12 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

We have them here by the millions.  We have a seasonal pond on the property, and a bunch of vernal pools near by, so they are literally everywhere here.  There's a couple days in the summer when they finally leave the pond, they are everywhere, and I mean *everywhere*.  It's creepy as you'll look at bushes, deck chairs, potted plants, etc and see multiple ones.  

That reminds me of that toad from earlier in the summer

I was walking outside, and I saw a Tetramorium Sp. E queen (my current one). She ran into the garage of my house. I went in only to find a giant fat toad sitting right around the corner. After shooing him out, I saw three other toads sitting in the other side of the garage, just staring at each other. I guess that's what you get when you live in front of a forest :P

• noebl1 likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#12 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted October 5 2017 - 3:27 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I agree about not adding two males, but I've kept three Hyla Cinera tree frogs, two female and one male, for a little over a year now. The male croaks loudly during the spring, but I haven't seen them mating and I haven't had any eggs or tadpoles.

#13 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted October 5 2017 - 3:30 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I recommend adding a piece of driftwood. My frogs love it, probably since it reminds them of a tree.

Edited by Mettcollsuss, October 5 2017 - 3:30 AM.

#14 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted October 6 2017 - 10:09 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Updated:

All is going well with the frog. He has eaten a moth or two each night since I caught him, so he is a good eater. He'll eat anything that I put in front of him :)

I've cut down some Honeysuckle vine segments and put them in. I love the look of the terrarium right now. 

Edited by TennesseeAnts, October 6 2017 - 10:10 AM.

• noebl1, Nathant2131, Bracchymyrmex and 1 other like this

#15 Offline Chicken_eater100 - Posted October 6 2017 - 11:37 AM

Chicken_eater100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKS, Leawood
Very nice
  • FeedTheAnts likes this

#16 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 6 2017 - 1:31 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Looks amazing!

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#17 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted November 18 2017 - 8:10 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I added a large tank mate, it is a huge snail.

The frog has gotten larger and is eating a lot. He wakes up at 8:30 every night and then eats anything and everything that I give it.

The pieces of wood has also sprouted shoots, which is kinda weird since they don't even have any roots.

DSC 0557
DSC 0558

Edited by TennesseeAnts, November 18 2017 - 8:12 AM.

#18 Offline Hunter - Posted November 18 2017 - 11:51 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

just from personal experience don't leave the heat source on 24/7

#19 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted November 18 2017 - 11:55 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

just from personal experience don't leave the heat source on 24/7

It doesn't have any heat source, but thanks.

#20 Offline Hunter - Posted November 18 2017 - 11:59 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

really is it non tropical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users