• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How long before giving up on a queen?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Seadogrun - Posted September 25 2017 - 3:58 AM

Seadogrun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Hello all -  I am curious to know how long you will keep queens before giving up on their colony producing capability.  I have caught several pheidole megacephala 1.5 months ago, they dropped their wings and laid eggs right away.  They all seem to be tending to their eggs, but they have not developed and produced any workers.  

What percentage of queens that drop their wings, tend eggs should I expect to develop into a colony? 

How long should I keep waiting?

I have caught some 3 weeks(much later than the first ones) ago that seem to be thriving and have 20 workers or so.

Thank you all,

#2 Offline Leo - Posted September 25 2017 - 4:37 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

don't give up till they are dead bro.

#3 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 25 2017 - 5:51 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I suggest putting them into hibernation and hoping they start making colonies in the spring.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#4 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted September 25 2017 - 6:13 AM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida
Pheidole megacephala is a species that doesn't require hibernation whatsoever, so if they're not laying viable eggs by now they're more likely than not, infertile.

Even if infertile, you could always combine them with your viable queens(s) to at the very least serve as trophic egg production. When sexuals are produced (which doesn't take long in this species) they'll probably mate and produce workers.

Edited by 123LordOfAnts123, September 25 2017 - 6:17 AM.

• dermy likes this

#5 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 25 2017 - 6:14 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Pheidole megacephala is a species that doesn't require hibernation whatsoever, so if they're not laying viable eggs by now they're more likely than not, infertile.

Oh, thank you for the correction.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#6 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted September 25 2017 - 1:46 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Even if infertile, you could always combine them with your viable queens(s) to at the very least serve as trophic egg production. When sexuals are produced (which doesn't take long in this species) they'll probably mate and produce workers.

I agree, you should mix them. Just make sure that they have enough space. If you have a polygynous species with too many queen in not enough space, the workers will pick off some of the weaker queens to make more room.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users