• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Brood Boosting

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline matt123 - Posted September 21 2017 - 5:51 PM

matt123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNY

I came across the practice of brood boosting and it definitely interests me.

Is it wise to do? why/why not?

Edited by matt123, September 21 2017 - 5:52 PM.

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 21 2017 - 6:14 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I've been there. It sounds appealing, but all you are really doing is harming another colony for no real benefit to the one receiving brood. All that's being accomplished is jumping the development of your colony a few months ahead, which is only serving our impatience. If your colony is ever floundering, adding more workers is not going to fix the problem.

The only exception is when you are raising social parasites that have the means to eclose the adults. They cannot found colonies independently.

• ColKurtz likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted September 22 2017 - 10:54 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Brood boosting CAN be useful if a queen repeatedly fails to raise her first workers, however there is no guarantee it works and more often than not the queen will either fail anyway or some careful help for the queen (sugar water, a fruit fly or a small spider) is the better way to go.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline matt123 - Posted September 22 2017 - 12:20 PM

matt123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNY

The reason I ask for exactly what batspiderfish states: impatience.

Everytime I see videos on youtube from channels like AntsCanada I always want to see my fledgling little colonies huge ASAP. My tetramorium are both doing just fine but of course I wouldn't mind a little boost. I don't plan on doing it though. Maybe if one colony looks to be failing I will grab their brood and give it to the other one, but no need for that.

Is it possible to boost with all stages of brood (Eggs, larvae, pupae)?

Edited by matt123, September 22 2017 - 12:21 PM.

#5 Offline Serafine - Posted September 22 2017 - 12:32 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Ants grow pretty much exponentially, don't underestimate them. You'll reach the point where you were you wish your ants would multiply slower soon enough :D

Edited by Serafine, September 22 2017 - 12:33 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#6 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted September 22 2017 - 1:40 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

The reason I ask for exactly what batspiderfish states: impatience.

Everytime I see videos on youtube from channels like AntsCanada I always want to see my fledgling little colonies huge ASAP. My tetramorium are both doing just fine but of course I wouldn't mind a little boost. I don't plan on doing it though. Maybe if one colony looks to be failing I will grab their brood and give it to the other one, but no need for that.

Is it possible to boost with all stages of brood (Eggs, larvae, pupae)?

It is possible to boost with all stages of development, but I would use pupae, because they don't require any care from the queen. If you use eggs & larvae, the queen still has to care for and feed them.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#7 Offline matt123 - Posted September 22 2017 - 3:18 PM

matt123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNY

Has anyone tried boosting with another species? I assume they will jsut eat the eggs or ignore them? but what if you boost with a closely related species in the same genus?

#8 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 22 2017 - 4:05 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Has anyone tried boosting with another species? I assume they will jsut eat the eggs or ignore them? but what if you boost with a closely related species in the same genus?

ya, people do that sometimes with Camponotus. I'd assume it maybe doesn't work on all occasions though.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users