• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant Id, Fresno 11/13/16

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FSTP - Posted November 14 2016 - 4:02 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Hello,

while looking for ants I came across a rather large colony of ants. 

Collection Data

Date: 11/13/16

Habitat: cleared abandoned dirt field next to a pistachio nut tree orchard

Worker Size: The workers range in size from very small 2-3 mm sized ones to much larger major like workers ranging in size from 7-10mm

Color: The smaller workers had a fully black gaster with a light red to orange head and thorax. The larger workers had a red to orange head and thorax while the first part of the gaster was red-orange then striped with the red-orange and the last half is a deep glossy black.

Behavior: When I first came upon the nest all I could see was the smaller workers milling about, there were about 12 different entrances to their nest in about a .75 square meter area. When I began to disturb the nest the smaller workers ran away and the much larger workers appeared walking around with their mandibles out stretched chomping the air. This was rather surprising to me as just seconds before I thought it was a nest of just a bunch of small workers.

I collected about fifty trying to get several of each size. Oh also they had a pretty potent bite/sting. I got bit/stung buy a couple of the larger ones and they left red welts the size of US quarters for about 12 hours.

Of the few I collected I placed them in a formicarium I made for observation I tried to get some pictures these are the best I could do so far.

newants3_zpsqelmz7fd.jpg

newants2_zpshgnrw9nt.jpg

newants4_zpsunqn3zso.jpg

newants1_zpsgtrgqtuv.jpg

The largest of the ants seemed to be hiding amongst the cluster of smaller ants.

These are really interesting ants to me I would love to know what they are so I could obtain a queen at some point.

Thank you,

Jess

#2 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted November 14 2016 - 4:10 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Solenopsis geminata I think.

#3 Offline Apex - Posted November 14 2016 - 4:19 PM

Apex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Pheidole sp.

#4 Offline Canadian anter - Posted November 14 2016 - 4:23 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Sizes are definetly off otherwise I would say Solenopsis geminata

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#5 Offline Kevin - Posted November 14 2016 - 5:10 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

The smoothness of them and the biting/sting makes me think solonopsis, so I'm going to go with +1 for solonopsis gemineta.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#6 Offline gcsnelling - Posted November 14 2016 - 5:12 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Not S. geminata, S. xyloni.

#7 Offline Saftron - Posted November 14 2016 - 5:13 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

Solenopsis Xyloni #2

#8 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted November 14 2016 - 5:30 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

I think the most likley is Solenopsis xyloni or Solenopsis invicta. Solenopsis geminata are less common in the Californian area, and Solenopsis invicta and xyloni look almost identical.

YJK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users