• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Greetings from SoCal

myrmecocystus ecology

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline EcoAnt - Posted September 17 2017 - 7:46 PM

EcoAnt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Hello, I am new to myrmecology, but I have been studying insects for a long time.  I am a faculty member at Fullerton College and teach General Ecology to our biology majors.  Our department has recently begun a coordinated undergraduate research program to help our students learn how to DO science rather than just learning the concepts.  We chose ants as our model organisms because they are found in most habitats for doing field work, but can also be raised in a lab for behavioral and molecular work.

Although I am a trained entomologist, most of my background is with Diptera (flies) and aquatic insects.  A colleague and I just attended the "Ants of the Southwest" course at the Southwest Research Station (SWRS) in Portal, AZ.  While we were there we excavated a very young Myrmecocystus colony that I am now raising in captivity.

I am very excited about this new research direction and learning to care for ant colonies.  I would love to make contact with other ant keeper/researchers in Southern California.

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted September 17 2017 - 8:19 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Welcome to the forum. As a hobbyist, I looked into joining, the "Ants of the Southwest" group. But I've, heard that there isn't many available spaces. And you won't have any trouble finding people in SoCal. It appears that is where the hobby is the largest.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 17 2017 - 9:19 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Welcome to the forum!

#4 Offline KBant - Posted September 17 2017 - 9:36 PM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

greetings from SOCAL too! i too am new and loving the hobby. currently have 1 colony of camponotus modoc, 1 colony of novomessor cockerelli and 2 of pogomomyrmex rugosus all under 6 months of age. 

-kb

Edited by KBant, September 17 2017 - 9:41 PM.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 17 2017 - 10:12 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Welcome. :)  I too am from Southern California and have quite a few different species of Myrmecocystus myself, some of the colonies quite large by now. That's pretty cool you attended that course. One of the instructors (Gordon Snelling) frequents this forum quite often.

#6 Offline gcsnelling - Posted September 18 2017 - 2:17 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Glad you were able to make it to the ants of the southwest class. I hope you had a good time, Sorry I could not meet you there.

#7 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted September 18 2017 - 8:53 AM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Welcome to the forums. I've been ant keeping for about 3 months so I am still considered new, though I have created https://www.antkeeping.wiki/ to help others in the hobby out. Personally, I have my first 2 queens of P. californicus which I have owned for about 2 months. I actually attend Fullerton college (off and on; story of my life) and live in Fullerton. I wouldn't mind meeting up with another like minded person to discus ant keeping. If you have time and are interested, PM me. :)

My current project to help other fellow anters out, on top of the wiki, is to link mating/nuptial flight charts with species location so anyone could figure out where ants are flying in their country/state/province. Pulling data from antweb.org and comparing the data to mating charts.

Edited by StopSpazzing, September 18 2017 - 9:01 AM.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#8 Offline JasonD - Posted September 18 2017 - 12:08 PM

JasonD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Welcome! Tons of people in SoCal. Looks like I found a home for my spare colonies!

#9 Offline Goldsystem - Posted September 18 2017 - 12:21 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
Welcome to the forum!

#10 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted September 18 2017 - 12:37 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Welcome to this awesome forum.

#11 Offline B2-Bomber-Ants - Posted October 3 2017 - 10:30 PM

B2-Bomber-Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hello I just joined today as well. Hope to stay in touch with you.

#12 Offline anttics - Posted October 30 2017 - 6:12 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
hello. just join. great job on this forum info about ants is not so easy to find. like sizes of each cast. it nuptial flight. etc. hoping to get my first colony on the wild if not maybee buy one. I like the messor genus. especially pergandei.
hello. just join. great job on this forum info about ants is not so easy to find. like sizes of each cast. it nuptial flight. etc. hoping to get my first colony on the wild if not maybee buy one. I like the messor genus. especially pergandei.

#13 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted October 30 2017 - 6:16 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Welcome! I hope raising an ant colony for yourself will be educational and helpful towards your project.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: myrmecocystus, ecology

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users