• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

About Protein

protein

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline megaxoplasma - Posted September 14 2017 - 7:41 PM

megaxoplasma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hello everyone,

I just have a question about protein, as in how far into nanitics should you offer your colony protein??

I have a lasius with 6 nanitics, I fed them honey and they gladly ate it, however when I provide wet fish food or mealworm chopped in half they don't really care for it. She had her first Nanitic  like 2 weeks ago and now have 6 nanitic and a bunch of brood.  Is it because there is yet to be larvae that they are not interested in the protein source??? Not sure when I should offer it and I won't want to protein deprive them by giving protein too late. But giving protein now seems wasteful since they just ignore it and I end up having to remove it from the feeding area cause it would rot etc if left alone.

This is a question for my growing lasius as well as a few queens in founding stage for future reference

Thank you so much everyone

#AntLove

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 14 2017 - 7:44 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Watch out when giving pure honey, honey by itself could easily trap ants and drown them; you might want to dilute it with water or make sugar water.  Some say 50/50 ratio works best for them.  

About the protein, Do you see them going towards it at all? What behavior do they have with it.  

#3 Offline megaxoplasma - Posted September 14 2017 - 7:54 PM

megaxoplasma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

They go towards it, become like 1 or 2 cm from it, most likely smell it, then backs away to their queen and huddles and moves on with guarding brood and chilling. 

#4 Offline Shaye - Posted September 15 2017 - 2:12 AM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
Perhaps try something smaller, like a fruit fly or termite. Most nanitics seem to be very cautious towards large food items.

Edited by Shaye, September 15 2017 - 2:31 AM.

• ColKurtz likes this

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

#5 Offline Rattus - Posted September 15 2017 - 8:22 AM

Rattus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationDanmark

You can easily feed them a queen that turns out to be unmated, before it dies of course. Just cut it and place inside the test tube.

My nanitics like to feast on queens. Sounds bad, but they will die anyway.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: protein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users