• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

2 Queens need ID

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Crablord - Posted November 22 2014 - 4:00 AM

Crablord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

image-3.jpg

image-4.jpg

I live in Perth Australia.

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 22 2014 - 4:22 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Okay I did some digging, and the top, colored one is Camponotus dryandrae perthiana, whereas the black one is Camponotus prostans.  I couldn't tell you anything else about them, except that the're probably like any other omnivorous Camponotus.

Google them, read up on Camponotus in general, and post any questions you have here after you've done your homework and attempted to find the answer to any common questions, yourself.

To find the species, I Googled "Camponotus western Australia" and came up with a list of ants that reside in your part of AU.  From there, I compared pictures of the relatively few Camponotus species to your provided photos, and then Googled the species further to ensure it was the closest match.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Mathiacus - Posted November 22 2014 - 4:30 AM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia
I had googled camponotus black thorax red legs australia. Image search turned up one of the ones you mentioned. But then I got sidetracked looking at all the pretty ants I want to own 😂

#4 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 22 2014 - 12:31 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

http://www.antweb.or...rnaustraliaants

I would suggest looking at this page. Welcome to the forum! :D

#5 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 22 2014 - 1:14 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I would have consulted AntWeb had I possessed the actual specimens to comb over distinguishing anatomical features, but all I had to go on was the provided gyne pictures and location.

The Google search I performed yielded similar common pictures of live ants, rather than extreme closeups of preserved specimens, and so that is why it was more relevant to me in a jiffy.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#6 Offline dean_k - Posted November 22 2014 - 1:24 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

http://www.antweb.or...rnaustraliaants

I would suggest looking at this page. Welcome to the forum! :D

Nice link. Those are some handsome ants on there.

#7 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 22 2014 - 1:53 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nice link. Those are some handsome ants on there.

All the species of Camponotus in West Australia. ;)

#8 Offline Crablord - Posted November 22 2014 - 6:12 PM

Crablord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for the help guys. I looked up both names mentioned and it seems they have ALOT of different colour variations. I've not seen any that look exactly like mine so I'm still confused.

#9 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 22 2014 - 6:44 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Please link us to pictures of what you're referring to?  But yes, sometimes ants of the same species do look differently.  However, I am reasonably confident that I got both of them correctly ID'd.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users