• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Salmon's Pheidole pilifera journal

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Salmon - Posted September 13 2017 - 3:53 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA

My Pheidole pilifera queen that I captured on August 3rd has done well and has her first nanitic! So I think it's time to journalize them. (Note that this journal won't have the best photography for a while since the small plastic test tube they currently inhabit isn't the clearest.)

They appear to have a pile of at least 12 pupae. I'll feed them a piece of walnut and a dead insect soon, the queen is looking rather thin.

• ctantkeeper, noebl1, Nathant2131 and 4 others like this

#2 Offline Spamdy - Posted September 13 2017 - 4:02 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
Following, just a question, I caught my Pheidole queen around the same time as you caught yours (a little after you caught yours) , I think she only has eggs as of know, any tips or tricks for the brood to develop?

Edited by Spamdy, September 13 2017 - 4:20 PM.

• Evanthomas89 likes this

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#3 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted September 13 2017 - 4:02 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Good job on the first worker! 

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted September 13 2017 - 4:07 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
Good luck!!

#5 Offline Salmon - Posted September 14 2017 - 2:53 AM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA

Following, just a question, I caught my Pheidole queen around the same time as you caught yours (a little after you caught yours) , I think she only has eggs as of know, any tips or tricks for the brood to develop?

I did keep her in an enclosed porch, so she was generally exposed to higher temperatures and more natural temperature fluctuations than if I kept her in a room with air conditioning. Other than that I just disturbed her as little as possible.

• Spamdy and Evanthomas89 like this

#6 Offline Salmon - Posted September 21 2017 - 3:36 AM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA

There's at least 8 workers now. They've devoured a dead fly and dragged a chunk of pecan to the back of their tube.

• ctantkeeper, Nathant2131 and Evanthomas89 like this

#7 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted September 21 2017 - 4:10 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Mine is giving me a rather difficult time. I have her in a test tube setup which is kept in complete darkness and away from vibrations and disturbances. She ate most of her origonal batch of eggs and larvae, but has managed to make a complete recovery. She seems fairly weak though and has a diffiuclt time moving around. Should I feed her some sunburst ant nectar or would this just worsen my situation?

Edited by ctantkeeper, September 21 2017 - 4:13 AM.

#8 Offline Salmon - Posted September 21 2017 - 1:49 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA

Mine is giving me a rather difficult time. I have her in a test tube setup which is kept in complete darkness and away from vibrations and disturbances. She ate most of her origonal batch of eggs and larvae, but has managed to make a complete recovery. She seems fairly weak though and has a diffiuclt time moving around. Should I feed her some sunburst ant nectar or would this just worsen my situation?

If she's weak food definitely isn't a bad idea. I would give her a piece of a nut or sunflower seed too since that'll last a while and has fat and protein.

• ctantkeeper and Evanthomas89 like this

#9 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted September 21 2017 - 5:12 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

If she's weak food definitely isn't a bad idea. I would give her a piece of a nut or sunflower seed too since that'll last a while and has fat and protein.

Thanks, I will definitely give that a try.

#10 Offline Salmon - Posted September 29 2017 - 7:42 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA

Up to 11 or 12 workers now. I'll take pictures soon... I just hate disturbing them and don't keep the tube uncovered for more than a few seconds. I need a piece of red plastic for them.

• Nathant2131 and Evanthomas89 like this

#11 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted September 30 2017 - 4:38 AM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

Up to 11 or 12 workers now. I'll take pictures soon... I just hate disturbing them and don't keep the tube uncovered for more than a few seconds. I need a piece of red plastic for them.

Wow that's awesome and happened so fast! What should I be feeding my Pheidole? I have just given them a home made honey water mixture and a small dubia nymph. 

Check out my Youtube

#12 Offline Salmon - Posted September 30 2017 - 7:50 AM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA

Wow that's awesome and happened so fast! What should I be feeding my Pheidole? I have just given them a home made honey water mixture and a small dubia nymph. 

I'm not sure what species you have. There's both seed eating and insectivorous species in NJ.

#13 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted September 30 2017 - 7:59 AM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

I'm not sure what species you have. There's both seed eating and insectivorous species in NJ.

So cool! I have organic chia seeds, I'll give them a couple and see if they do anything. 

Check out my Youtube

#14 Offline Salmon - Posted September 30 2017 - 10:10 AM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA

Oh, I should mention that there's 11 or 12 workers now but there's also still a large pile of larvae and pupae. I guess she's been laying eggs and growing larvae continuously.

#15 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted October 1 2017 - 6:08 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I followed your advice and she and her brood are thriving! I now have 6-7 eggs, 6 larvae and 3-4 pupae!

• Salmon likes this

#16 Offline Salmon - Posted October 13 2017 - 2:07 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA

Based on the size of that larva, there might be a pretty major update soon.
  • noebl1 and rdurham02 like this

#17 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 13 2017 - 4:58 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Nice! In my experience, the first major larvae appear when the ants receive ample protein amounts. If you give your colony lots of active protein sources (like live termites), more majors are likely to appear.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#18 Offline Salmon - Posted October 14 2017 - 2:21 AM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA

Nice! In my experience, the first major larvae appear when the ants receive ample protein amounts. If you give your colony lots of active protein sources (like live termites), more majors are likely to appear.

Was your colony a more carnivorous species? These ones are seed eaters that rarely go after live prey so I figured giving them seeds would produce more majors. 

#19 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 14 2017 - 6:16 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

My colony was Pheidole megacephala. Maybe you should give your colony more seeds and dead thick-skinned insects I guess.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes