• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Nuptial Flight in Sydney Australia

sydney australia queen nuptial flight

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline antaioli - Posted September 12 2017 - 12:16 AM

antaioli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationNSW Australia

I witnessed my first nuptial flight today! 12th September 2017 in Sydney, Australia. About 1-2pm, first hot day in a while 30 degrees, moderately windy 30-40% humidity. There is rain forecast tomorrow, first time in a few weeks.

There was a swarm of flying alates at a particular corner outside my house. I watched as the males frantically rushed to mate with the queens. It was amazing to see! I think every queen was mating with a male right before I captured them, I was just waiting for them to finish up. They also seemed to come in waves, might be due to the wind?

The queens were a bit larger than the males (queens 5mm males 4mm). Queens have yellow gasters whereas males are all black. I caught 7 queens but I think one is already dead :/

Anyway does anyone know the species of ant? I'm new to identification. 

Album: http://imgur.com/a/0oP6f

uip0t8V.jpg

pA16enU.jpg

dygkXIu.jpg

798IxbT.jpg

#2 Offline antaioli - Posted September 15 2017 - 7:07 PM

antaioli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationNSW Australia

I've had Pheidole and Monomorium suggested.

I found a very similar looking Monomorium Sydneyense queen in this photo online:

http://www.alexander...ium/i-JpzVdrV/A

Edited by antaioli, September 17 2017 - 10:04 PM.

#3 Offline antaioli - Posted September 17 2017 - 10:02 PM

antaioli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationNSW Australia

Just saw some more queens of the same species flying today. Same spot next to house and on verandah tiles. About 2pm, 28 degrees c, 25% humidity, 14km/h wind.

I probably only saw the end of it, or it was just a smaller flight in general.

Caught 3 queens today.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sydney, australia, queen, nuptial, flight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users