• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

First post!

ant id identification

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AnAntKeeperNamedSol - Posted September 11 2017 - 2:41 PM

AnAntKeeperNamedSol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello! I need help identifying a species in Maryland. I have two dead ants I need an ID on. Send me your email so I can ship to you. I want proof that you can ID this species, because I only have two ants. They are workers in the Myrmicinae family and don't sting, but that's all I know. Please help!  :D

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 11 2017 - 2:43 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Hello! I need help identifying a species in Maryland. I have two dead ants I need an ID on. Send me your email so I can ship to you. I want proof that you can ID this species, because I only have two ants. They are workers in the Myrmicinae family and don't sting, but that's all I know. Please help!  :D

Say what now :thinking:

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Online T.C. - Posted September 11 2017 - 2:45 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Your post makes no sense. You want a ID, make a properly formatted thread in the ID section of the forum. Nobody wants your dead ants.
  • Spamdy likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline AnAntKeeperNamedSol - Posted September 11 2017 - 2:48 PM

AnAntKeeperNamedSol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

lol I'm new here, but I want a myrmecologist, not a critic on posting comments.

#5 Offline Spamdy - Posted September 11 2017 - 2:51 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

You don't need a myrmecologist to ID your ants... Many members on this fourm can probably easily Identify your dead ants.

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#6 Online T.C. - Posted September 11 2017 - 2:51 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

We have a few entomologists. No myrmecologists. Eitherway, no one wants your dead ants. Why can't you post pictures? And I'm not criticizing anyone, your original post makes no sense! Tell me exactly what "I want proof that you can ID this species, because I only have two ants." means?
  • Spamdy likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#7 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted September 11 2017 - 2:53 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Welcome to the forums. Seeing as you are new, please take a few pictures of them and post in the ID forum to have them properly IDed.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#8 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 11 2017 - 2:59 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Wow, hello to you too.

Ant Identification Template (Please read this first, then post a NEW thread)

#9 Offline Martialis - Posted September 11 2017 - 3:25 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

You aren't going to attract their attention without a correctly formatted post and some proper etiquette.

Edited by Martialis, September 11 2017 - 3:29 PM.

• T.C. likes this
Spoiler

#10 Offline AnAntKeeperNamedSol - Posted September 11 2017 - 3:33 PM

AnAntKeeperNamedSol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks Martialis, Spamdy and T.C.! Also, sorry T.C I thought you were just being mean, the way you typed. Also, I don't have a good camera, so I can't take a good pic.

• Spamdy and FeedTheAnts like this

#11 Offline Martialis - Posted September 11 2017 - 3:35 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Then no ID.

Spoiler

#12 Offline VoidElecent - Posted September 11 2017 - 3:36 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Thanks Martialis, Spamdy and T.C.! Also, sorry T.C I thought you were just being mean, the way you typed. Also, I don't have a good camera, so I can't take a good pic.

So, let me get this straight. Instead of trying to even describe the ant(s), you want us to post our home addresses so you can ship dead ants to us, to identify?

Edited by VoidElecent, September 11 2017 - 3:36 PM.

• Martialis likes this

#13 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 11 2017 - 3:36 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

That's fine, sometimes even terrible pics work, it's usually what we deal with ;)  

#14 Offline BMM - Posted September 11 2017 - 4:01 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Even a basic description and a blurry picture is better than nothing. The worst case scenario is that no one will be able to identify it, which is where this is currently at anyway.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#15 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted September 11 2017 - 4:17 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

So, let me get this straight. Instead of trying to even describe the ant(s), you want us to post our home addresses so you can ship dead ants to us, to identify?

To be fair, he did say ship but nothing about home address, could use a PO BOX.  :)

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant id, identification

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users