• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant First Aid

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted September 10 2017 - 3:17 PM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationDamariscotta, Maine

So a week or so ago I asked you all to help me identify 4 queens I had found. One of them was distinctly different and I called her Queen A. Well anyways, a few days later she laid a nice cluster of eggs and has been happily taking care of her babies and doing a fabulous job ever since. Until last night.... For some reason the tube started leaking and I found her drowned in the water trying to save her eggs. I was so bummed by this. I pulled her out and dried her off and tried to poke at her to see if I got any response out of her. Nothing. I kept hoping I would see her move but nothing happened. She was limp and soggy. So I put her in a dry paper towel in a small container and left her eggs in the tube. I'll admit I had given up hope but I didn't want to just throw her out. Was gone all day, got home, and needed the container for a new queen I caught, and low and behold, my little lasius queen was active and acting normal. I put her in a new test tube set up with some grape jelly (My camponotus loves it but idk if all my ants will or not....) and I put her eggs back in there. They were a little dry so I'm not sure the made it but she immediately started moving them around. I'm just glad she is alive. Hate it when ants die, especially after laying eggs and / or having their first workers. It's happened twice thus far. So I guess my take away from this is to not give up on what looks like a dead ant immediately. Do a little ant CPR and who knows...  :)

Edited by Naturenut1233, September 10 2017 - 3:34 PM.

• Nathant2131, RhodyAnts and lucas3431 like this

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users