• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Damariscotta Maine 09-07-17

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted September 9 2017 - 7:17 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationDamariscotta, Maine

1. Location of collection: Damariscotta Maine USA
2. Date of collection: 09-07-17
3. Habitat of collection: On a sandy beach on a lake. Lots of queens of various species out that day due to rain the two days before. 
4. Length (from head to gaster): 6.35 mm approx
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Rusty red color, slightly translucent, Long slender body with very distinctive shape. (See photos)
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Reminds me in looks of pharaoh ants. But I'm not familiar enough with ants to begin to identify it. Only one on the beach that looked like this out of hundreds of ants I saw that day. Has a distinctive 2 part petiole. 
7. Distinguishing behavior: Very active and fast but clumsy. Doesn't seem to be able to climb smooth surfaces well. Combative. Likes to try to bite and sting me but can't feel anything. 
8. Nest description: Unknown

Last but not least.... Is this a queen? I'm not convinced but looks to have the remains of where wings were and the beach was covered in queens that day. 

Added a few (haha, few) more pics below and close ups of face. 

Edited by Naturenut1233, September 9 2017 - 9:39 AM.

• rdurham02 likes this

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted September 9 2017 - 7:29 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Myrmica Sp.
  • FeedTheAnts likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted September 9 2017 - 8:15 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Myrmica sp. queen. It looks a lot like Myrmica rubra, but we would need clear, close pictures of the front of the head to tell for sure.

Edited by Nathant2131, September 9 2017 - 8:16 AM.

#4 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted September 9 2017 - 8:18 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

This isn't Myrmica Rubra is it? Hope not. lol. Doesn't hurt when it tries to sting or bite though so makes me think it might not be? 

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#5 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted September 9 2017 - 8:20 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Just saw your post. Using a point and shoot camera with no special lenses so will attempt to get better pics and if I succeed will post them here. 

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#6 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted September 9 2017 - 8:21 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Where can I find a list of Myrmica species in maine or new england? Is there such a thing? 

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#7 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted September 9 2017 - 8:29 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Where can I find a list of Myrmica species in maine or new england? Is there such a thing? 

Myrmica taxonomy needs some work, and there are many unnamed Myrmica species out there, but here's a list of native species: (It does not include M. rubra as they are invasive. M. rubra is New England's only invasive species of that genus)

http://antmaps.org/?...y&genus=Myrmica

I suggest getting the book "A Field Guide to the Ants of New England". It gives a very in-depth overview with the genus Myrmica (And all the other New England Ants. Each species has it's own page or two) , including all the unnamed species, and which species may be complexes, etc.

Edited by Nathant2131, September 9 2017 - 8:30 AM.

#8 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted September 9 2017 - 8:32 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

K, thank you. Will be putting that book on my Christmas wish list :D

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#9 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted September 9 2017 - 8:36 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

K, thank you. Will be putting that book on my Christmas wish list :D

It's a must have in my opinion for anyone who lives in the NorthEast. There's a complete identification key for every ant in New England, and even includes a few species outside of it.

Edited by Nathant2131, September 9 2017 - 8:36 AM.

#10 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 9 2017 - 8:39 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

With New England Myrmica, there are tricks to identifying the invasive M. rubra, but then all others cannot be fully differentiated without a microscope. Some keys even require you to look at cross sections of workers.

Edited by Batspiderfish, September 9 2017 - 8:40 AM.

• Nathant2131 likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#11 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted September 9 2017 - 9:43 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

From what I can find on the Maine University website it appears Rubra have two spikes on the back of the thorax but this one appears to only have one. Now I'm not sure on that, but even so the spike on her back is quite a bit smaller than a lot of the myrmica species. I'm trying to look up the genuses individually and have ruled out a few as a result. Added more pics above to the original post and I'm quite proud of the fact that in some of them you can even count the segments in the antennae, given that my camera really isn't that great at close ups. Best I can do for now and going to let the poor ant have a break. Now my understanding from Myrica species is that they usually reproduce by taking some workers with them to form a new colony. This queen was alone when I found her and didn't see any other red ants on the beach at all that day. So will she be able to raise brood on her own? and also should I assume she's semi-claustral? She did seem to really enjoy some honey water I gave her. 

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#12 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 9 2017 - 10:54 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Myrmecina has two sets of propodeal spines, but Myrmica will only have one set which may be reduced to nothing, depending on the species (the inquiline social parasite Myrmica are often like this). Myrmica rubra does have nuptial flights wherein queens may found colonies independently. Non-parasitic Myrmica are semi-claustral. Mine love Drosophila.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#13 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted September 9 2017 - 2:24 PM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

K thanks. Learning so much. Found a bunch more queens this afternoon, including another that looks a lot like this one and another crematogaster. Found a bunch of ants flying out of a nest on my walk back home but got trapped in a hail storm with lightning that was really close so didn't wait for them and ran home. lol. Might drive back to see if I can find them now. Got 100 test tubes in the mail today. Might keep me busy a while as I try to identify everything. 

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users