• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aphaenogaster ID Illinois - 9/6/17

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ultraex2 - Posted September 6 2017 - 6:34 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Trying to get this identified - I'm 99% sure it's Aphaenogaster, but really just need to know if it's fully claustral, semi-claustral, or parasitic.

Thanks!

1. Location of collection:  Caught in northern Illinois in the city of Rockford.

2. Date of collection: 9/1/17

3. Habitat of collection: Caught underneath a log in a small woods.

4. Length:  Small, about 5mm or so - will post more accurate measurement if needed.

5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture:  Dull, darker red head and body with a bright orange, shiny gaster.

6. Distinguishing characteristics:  2 petiole nodes with 2 spikes pointing out on both sides of the petiole nodes.

7. Anything else distinctive:  Nothing out of the ordinary - normal queen behavior.

8. Nest description: I believe the Aphaenogaster colony that it came from live in large piles of fire wood, underneath the bark.

9 . Pictures (I can get better pictures if needed, these were taken through a plastic test tube with a clip on macro lens):

Edited by ultraex2, September 6 2017 - 6:52 AM.

#2 Offline OhioAnts - Posted September 6 2017 - 6:37 AM

OhioAnts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Looks to be Aphaenogaster for sure! Your queen seems to be a bit redder than the ones I caught so it might be Aphaenogaster rudis. From what I know they are fully Claustral and sometimes can be parasitic but I do not have any experience with that. 

Current Colonies:

Camponotus Noveboracensis: 4 Colonies

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus: 2 Colonies

Formica Subsericea: 1 Colony

Prenolepis Imparis: 1 Colony

Looking to Buy:

Any Pheidole Colonies

Camponotus Castaneus

Camponutus Subbarbatus

#3 Offline ultraex2 - Posted September 6 2017 - 7:03 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Looks to be Aphaenogaster for sure! Your queen seems to be a bit redder than the ones I caught so it might be Aphaenogaster rudis. From what I know they are fully Claustral and sometimes can be parasitic but I do not have any experience with that. 

Thanks for confirming the Aphaenogaster!  Sorry for the mediocre pictures, the gaster is a very bright orange while the head/thorax are a more dark red.  I could be wrong, but I don't think it's Rudis.  That does help though, as I have another Aphaenogaster queen that I'm actually thinking is Rudis and is a dark red/brown color.

I'm thinking it's more like Aphaenogaster Fulva, Lamillidens, Mariae, etc.

#4 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted September 8 2017 - 12:50 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Looks like Aphaenogaster tennesseensis to me.

#5 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 8 2017 - 12:59 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Looks like Aphaenogaster tennesseensis to me.

5mm is too small to be tennessseensis.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#6 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 8 2017 - 5:50 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Aphaenogater tennesseensis are social parasites with queens that are close to the size of workers -- with those big spines and her shininess, there's no mistake. She will need callow Aphaenogaster workers.

Edited by Batspiderfish, September 9 2017 - 8:33 AM.

• Nathant2131 likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#7 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted September 9 2017 - 6:38 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
Definitely a..teneseensis. the color and size give it all away

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#8 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 9 2017 - 6:56 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Definitely a..teneseensis. the color and size give it all away

Wait, I've seen these before and I would have thought they were much larger than 5mm. I guess I was wrong.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users