• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

3d print designs and filaments

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Tmhernandez77 - Posted September 7 2017 - 9:55 AM

Tmhernandez77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, CA

Hey everyone, I am a school teacher and we just got out Lulzbot Taz 6 printer up and running.  It's a fantastic printer and I want to take advantage of it and print ant-keeping supplies while the printer is not in use.  

My question, what filaments do you all prefer (I'm thinking about a wood infused plastic filament for formicariums)?

Also, I would love links to any of your designs or products you recommend for ant keeping.  Things like liquid feeders, founding chambers, etc.  

Thanks!  

P.S. I'm working on my first design for a formicarium, its a 16 cm x 16 cm, 2 water reservoirs, spot for a heating cable, 12 chambers, and two ports for entrance.  It's gonna take 20 hours for this first prototype.

• lucas3431 likes this

Veromessor pergandei - Liometopum occidentale - Solenopsis xyloni - Unknown species

#2 Offline MaxGen - Posted September 7 2017 - 11:09 AM

MaxGen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationToronto

I have a Creality CR-10 and have started printing some stuff.  Designed an adapter cap to directly snap test tubes onto small outworlds.

Wood filament might be ok for the nest, but I would use PLA at 100% infill for the reservoir.  The wood particles might wick water out the bottom of the reservoir.

Use yeggi.com (3d print search site) for formicarium downloads; there are loads to try out.  You'll find some old ByFormica stuff on Thingiverse as well.

There is an Italian guy with a youtube channel that has some neat designs.  He has a mini formicarium print download on one of his videos - Safeway Ants.  I've printed it, but haven't tried moving anything into it yet.

I'd love to try your design when you finish it.  The 3d CAD programs are a bit of a steep learning curve for me.

• Jefes and lucas3431 like this

#3 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted September 8 2017 - 12:53 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

I have a Creality CR-10 and have started printing some stuff.  Designed an adapter cap to directly snap test tubes onto small outworlds.

Wood filament might be ok for the nest, but I would use PLA at 100% infill for the reservoir.  The wood particles might wick water out the bottom of the reservoir.

Use yeggi.com (3d print search site) for formicarium downloads; there are loads to try out.  You'll find some old ByFormica stuff on Thingiverse as well.

There is an Italian guy with a youtube channel that has some neat designs.  He has a mini formicarium print download on one of his videos - Safeway Ants.  I've printed it, but haven't tried moving anything into it yet.

I'd love to try your design when you finish it.  The 3d CAD programs are a bit of a steep learning curve for me.

https://www.tinkercad.com/

super easy for beginners

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users