• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Trachymyrmex septentrionalis in New Jersey

trachmyrmex septentrionalis newjersey jersey

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted September 8 2017 - 10:58 AM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis
Jackson, New Jersey 

Hey Everybody! I finally got the chance to edit down the video clips
 of the wild Trachymyrmex I saw with MrILoveTheAnts a couple weeks ago. 

Edited by Evanthomas89, September 8 2017 - 11:00 AM.

• MrILoveTheAnts, Spamdy, FeedTheAnts and 1 other like this

Check out my Youtube

#2 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted September 9 2017 - 4:42 AM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ
Here's an image of one of their mounds and also a picture of two workers and some caterpillar frass 

Check out my Youtube

#3 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted September 11 2017 - 7:56 PM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Ah nice! Wish I could have joined you guys. (MrILoveTheAnts and I usually ant hunt together in central NJ each year, but this year we didn't). Nice pictures too! Those ants are really neat. I've only ever seen them a few times, each time was with MrILTA. 

• Evanthomas89 likes this

#4 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted September 12 2017 - 6:28 AM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

Ah nice! Wish I could have joined you guys. (MrILoveTheAnts and I usually ant hunt together in central NJ each year, but this year we didn't). Nice pictures too! Those ants are really neat. I've only ever seen them a few times, each time was with MrILTA. 

Oops, I though I responded to this but probably lost my internet before it sent. I apologize if there's a second post similar lol. 

MrILTA took me to where you guys found them and showed me what to look for and I have found them in my Aunt's neighborhood on the Lakewood/Brick border and also have absolutely seen those crescent shaped mounds along the power lines in Jackson going out as a kid hunting with my dad. 

Check out my Youtube

#5 Offline Flame.Hyped - Posted September 14 2017 - 12:46 PM

Flame.Hyped

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Wow. Amazing, do you have discord by any chance?

#6 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted September 14 2017 - 3:51 PM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

Wow. Amazing, do you have discord by any chance?

No I don't. 

Check out my Youtube

#7 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted September 14 2017 - 6:41 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Awesome pictures, what do you use to take them?

#8 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted September 15 2017 - 11:00 AM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

Awesome pictures, what do you use to take them?

Thank you, I use my iPhone 6S and a clip on macro lens. 

Check out my Youtube

#9 Offline VoidElecent - Posted September 15 2017 - 11:02 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

We should all go some time in the Spring next year (maybe later this year if it doesn't get cold to quickly), I missed the previous Mid Atlantic Anting trips.

#10 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted September 17 2017 - 5:55 AM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

We should all go some time in the Spring next year (maybe later this year if it doesn't get cold to quickly), I missed the previous Mid Atlantic Anting trips.

Definitely! I might actually get out to Turkey Swamp today for a walk and if I'm up to it I could go check out the Trachymyrmex as well, they were about 20-25 minutes away. 

Check out my Youtube

#11 Offline matt123 - Posted September 22 2017 - 7:34 PM

matt123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNY

Do you know when they fly?

#12 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted September 23 2017 - 4:27 AM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

Do you know when they fly?

I haven't caught a queen or seen a flight but I've heard they fly in August. 

Check out my Youtube

#13 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted October 7 2017 - 11:28 PM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Definitely! I might actually get out to Turkey Swamp today for a walk and if I'm up to it I could go check out the Trachymyrmex as well, they were about 20-25 minutes away. 

Ah, I love Turkey Swamp Park. And when I come back to NJ in the spring I would be game for an Ant-Together ... seems like there's quite a bit of interest in them now! 

#14 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted October 8 2017 - 5:25 AM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

Ah, I love Turkey Swamp Park. And when I come back to NJ in the spring I would be game for an Ant-Together ... seems like there's quite a bit of interest in them now! 

Yes! We should get a big group of us together for it! I've got Turkey Swamp right down the road from me, and you know where the Trachy's are in Jackson which is about twenty minutes as well. I've found a few Trachy nests in Lakewood also, I'm sure there are more nearby I want to find before winter but I'll get out scouting before the Spring Ant-Together  :)

Check out my Youtube

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trachmyrmex, septentrionalis, newjersey, jersey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users