• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

One day build founding formicarium.

formicarium founding

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FormicForeman - Posted September 4 2017 - 7:11 PM

FormicForeman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
EDIT: Google photos is hard.... re-uploaded to imgur.

I built a few prototype founding formicariums this Saturday. Some use the dpsdrew hydration method of a piece of bisque tile embedded in the cement, some use a design inspired by Tar Heel Ant's water towers.

The whole idea was to limit this to a one day build. I woke up at 10:00 a.m. to go shopping for materials and finished cleaning the kitchen at midnight. Mission accomplished.

The formicariums are still curing and I still have to check how humidity and temperature will look like. At this point I think of them as prototypes and experiments for next year, and have no idea whether ants will actually like them.

Things that went right:
  • The inner lids unexpectedly work with friction fit.
  • The left-over from the textured floor works as an opaque inner lid, if ant comfort trumps observation then I would go with them.
  • They look way more professional than expected.
  • It was a lot of fun.
Still to do:
  • Improve skills to achieve better fit and finish.
  • Magnet lids, right now the inner lid is friction fit.
  • Red acrylic lids to keep the ants happier while allowing observation.
  • Thicker walls.
  • Figure out how to cut cleaner mesh circles, I like the look of the polymer mesh better than the stainless steel, but some ants may be able to chew it.
  • Polish the acrylic where it got scratched, flame polish edges.
  • Water tower / bisque tile hybrid: Pour absorbent cement / plaster into acrylic tube, build rest of formicarium using a more waterproof mix.
  • See if ants like them.

Full stack.

Top view.

Outer lid off. Inner lid friction fit.

Inner lid removed.

Privacy lid.

Notice bisque tile embedded in right side of floor. Drew style.

Hole matches bisque tile.

Hole in reservoir also matches. Sponge visible in last picture of album.

Water tower style. SS mesh.

Water tower style from below.

Banana for scale.

Edited by FormicForeman, September 4 2017 - 11:44 PM.

• T.C., Spamdy and lucas3431 like this

#2 Offline OhioAnts - Posted September 4 2017 - 7:18 PM

OhioAnts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Those are awesome!! Thanks for the post!

Current Colonies:

Camponotus Noveboracensis: 4 Colonies

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus: 2 Colonies

Formica Subsericea: 1 Colony

Prenolepis Imparis: 1 Colony

Looking to Buy:

Any Pheidole Colonies

Camponotus Castaneus

Camponutus Subbarbatus

#3 Offline Pleming - Posted September 4 2017 - 7:41 PM

Pleming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

Looks Great!

Can't wait to see how it performs.

#4 Offline klawfran3 - Posted September 4 2017 - 8:05 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

The photo links seem broken. I can't see anything.

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#5 Offline FormicForeman - Posted September 4 2017 - 11:44 PM

FormicForeman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

The photo links seem broken. I can't see anything.

Re-uploaded all images. Let me know if it works.

#6 Offline MaxGen - Posted September 5 2017 - 5:38 AM

MaxGen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationToronto

How are you forming the chamber, is it a mold?  I like it, reminds me of the mini hearths.  

I wonder if you could find a way to create a bit of a ceiling over the water tower and maybe remove the outer edge so you can look in from the side.  With my mini hearths, I find the queens like to get right in between the ceiling and the mesh of the tower.  Probably makes them feel more secure, but would obstruct top down view.

#7 Offline T.C. - Posted September 5 2017 - 6:46 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Looks good. Interesting "texture"? in the outworld. How did you get it to look like that?

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

#8 Offline lucas3431 - Posted September 5 2017 - 9:14 AM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

I like it, clean, but...don't shoot me, it might be a little tricky feeding when a colony grows some more, maybe adding a hatch at the top might help during feeding.

#9 Offline FormicForeman - Posted September 5 2017 - 9:34 AM

FormicForeman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Looks good. Interesting "texture"? in the outworld. How did you get it to look like that?

3d printed mold. I used the texture before for the base for painted war gaming figurines.

I like it, clean, but...don't shoot me, it might be a little tricky feeding when a colony grows some more, maybe adding a hatch at the top might help during feeding.

Actually a pretty good idea. I think the plastic shop sells acrilic piano hinges for a fancy look. I'll try something simpler first.

My problem is that I bought all the containers in the store. I ordered more but it will take weeks.
  • lucas3431 likes this

#10 Offline FormicForeman - Posted September 5 2017 - 9:39 AM

FormicForeman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

How are you forming the chamber, is it a mold? I like it, reminds me of the mini hearths.

I wonder if you could find a way to create a bit of a ceiling over the water tower and maybe remove the outer edge so you can look in from the side. With my mini hearths, I find the queens like to get right in between the ceiling and the mesh of the tower. Probably makes them feel more secure, but would obstruct top down view.

I cut 1/4 of a container and glued a wall to make the outside. 3d printed the chamber.

I like the idea of the little ceiling. Demolding could be an issue, I could leave the are solid and carve out that part of the chamber, or I could make that part out of modeling clay. Maybe a two part cement chamber and then I cement the roof?

I'll update when I get new containers to play with.

#11 Offline MaxGen - Posted September 5 2017 - 10:35 AM

MaxGen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationToronto

I have several BoxBox containers for small outworlds which are very similar to these containers.  When i apply fluon on the edges, the lid easily slides on and off.  It's no trouble removing the lid for feeding and cleaning.  The ants can't make it up past the barrier anyway.

• lucas3431 likes this

#12 Offline lucas3431 - Posted September 5 2017 - 11:07 AM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

I have several BoxBox containers for small outworlds which are very similar to these containers.  When i apply fluon on the edges, the lid easily slides on and off.  It's no trouble removing the lid for feeding and cleaning.  The ants can't make it up past the barrier anyway.

Fluon yes or the baby powder mixed with alcohol is good, but it's messy and you have to replace it after a while, I'm a little fussy haha, I'd rather less hassle, the idea of mesh and acrylic is tidy. FormicForeman has a 3D printer so maybe he could create an idea for an easy open and close cap. But...yup there's the but you do still have a point because when it comes to cleaning duties in the outworld humm  :thinking: . Catch 22.

#13 Offline FormicForeman - Posted October 3 2017 - 11:32 PM

FormicForeman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Original version offered to ants, they did not move in, but liked hanging out. Sent it to someone who keeps more species.

Thank you for Fluon suggestion, worked great.

This is the new version.

- 3D printed with food contact safe material.

- Magnets potted in acrylic cement.

- 1mm thick hydrostone floor, thicker floors wick too much water and caused condensation issues.

- Deep red acrylic lid.

- Easy refill port.

- Water chamber is filled with vermiculite, this way the whole thing can be tilted without spilling, and it appears to produce nice humidity.

- Molded in feeding dish for liquid food. Not sure about this one, easy to fill with hydrostone.

Open nest.
Refilling
Refilling
Bottom View

• UtahAnts likes this

#14 Offline Leo - Posted October 4 2017 - 12:21 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Banana for scale  :D

#15 Offline FormicForeman - Posted October 4 2017 - 12:25 AM

FormicForeman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

There is a banana in the background of one of the pictures... unless that was the joke.

The container is 65mm by 85mm and I forget the height. The entrance is 10mm diameter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, founding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users