• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Damariscotta Maine Another ID request 8-31-17

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted August 31 2017 - 8:05 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationDamariscotta, Maine

Found 4 queens, at least I am 99% sure they are queens, and 3 appear to be one type (to my untrained and inexperienced eyes) and one appears to be different, but similar. I'll explain. But any help would be great! 

Found in our sandy backyard that is shaded by mixed hardwoods and conifers on a sunny afternoon. Collected 8-29-17. They are all 1/4 an inch or 6 - 7 mm I believe. 
Blackish brown with brown legs, the one seems more black with darker legs than the other three. 3 of them are more slim and more pointed gasters. The one has a fatter and blunter gaster.  I have attempted to label the queens A - D. You can see A is much fatter and wider. Maybe she's the same thing as she was found in the same area. She just may have better fat reserves? To me the other three look more wasp like however. My camera really isn't meant for such tiny photography so it's impossible to get pics of the face, etc. Just help getting it down to the general family would be nice if possible.... I can try to look at them with a magnifying glass and answer questions if needed. Thank you so much. :D

Top one is A, next is B, than C and the winged one on the bottom is D.

All four side by side

A
108 1642

AB&C
108 1643

A
108 1647

A
108 1648

B
108 1649

B
108 1650

C
108 1651

C
108 1652

C
108 1653

D
108 1654

D
108 1655

D
108 1656

D
108 1659

A
108 1665

A&C
Top one is A

Edited by Naturenut1233, August 31 2017 - 8:09 AM.

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#2 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted August 31 2017 - 8:19 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Kind of thinking the winged one might be a drone but what do you think? 

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#3 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted August 31 2017 - 10:02 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

No, the winged one is a queen. Looks like Lasius, but I'm bad at this, so...

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#4 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted August 31 2017 - 10:09 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Lasius Alienus?

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#5 Offline VoidElecent - Posted August 31 2017 - 11:35 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

'A' looks like Lasius in the niger group.

'B' & 'C' look like Lasius in the umbratus group. 'D' could also be L. umbratus but we'd need some better pictures, preferably from a side angle.

#6 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted August 31 2017 - 12:02 PM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Side pics I can do but probably won't be any bigger. :D

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#7 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted September 1 2017 - 5:12 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

So should I assume they are parasitic and if so would giving them a few pupae work to help start their colonies? I will try to get more pictures today for better identification and I have a magnifying glass I might be able to use to get close ups.... maybe. I can try. :D

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#8 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted September 1 2017 - 5:54 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Ok, got some more pics of the winged queen. Not sure how to hold an ant with tweezers and figure they normally take off their wings so gently held it by the wings to get side shots without the wings in they way..... Didn't hurt the ant but probably doing it wrong... idk..... Don't dare try the other ants because I don't want cause any harm to legs or bodies and photographing through the tubing just isn't as clear. This one ant has a noticeable spike between the abdomen and the thorax. You can see it in the photo. Tried to get a shot of the face as well. Wish I had incredible zoom but when I zoom in on macro it just gets blurry.... So here is the one queen. Any suggestions on her care would be great too, such as is she claustral, do I feed her, is she parasitic, if so what is the best approach. FYI the tweezers I was using were such that if I squeeze them they loosen their grip on her and I kept them only tight enough that she couldn't take off. Her wings were a little moist so she was more or less sticking to the tweezers. Thanks. 

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#9 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted September 1 2017 - 6:02 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Oh and she's exactly 7 mm from the tip of her mandibles to the tip of her gaster. Does not count antennae. Am I suppose to measure those? 

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#10 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted September 4 2017 - 7:26 PM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Ok, so an update on queen A is that she has a nice cluster of eggs. Not know if she is fully claustral or not I put some honey water in there for her and her gaster is huge now. At least half again as long as it was and transparent between the sections. I swear she looks like a brachymyrmex to my untrained eyes but believe she is to big to be that? 6mm before she ate so much. Lots of eggs all bunched up and she's taking good care of them. The other three queens appear to have no interest in eggs at this point and I'm thinking they may be parasitic queens? 

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users