• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Keeping aphaenogaster treatae in a natural setup?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lou9x9 - Posted August 29 2017 - 6:47 AM

Lou9x9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I have an aphaenogaster treatae colony that's outgrowing their current setup. I want to experiment with making natural setups and was wondering if anyone have tried this species in this kind of setup before? Do they dig at all and can I get them to dig tunnels?

Edited by Lou9x9, August 29 2017 - 6:50 AM.

• lucas3431 likes this

#2 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted August 29 2017 - 6:56 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Yes, they can dig. However, I would recommend letting them decide on their own. Take a tank and line the bottom with pebbles. Put a bunch of eco earth as substrate mixed with Sphagnum moss. Put a couple of dried wood that you can buy off of amazon or most petstores. Plant some plants and spread some seeds around. Put some springtails and isopods in (you can get them off Amazon). But other insect that you think would do well in the ecosystem. That I think would work fine. Please let me know if this was at all helpful. Have fun! Good Luck! Best Regards!

-AntsMaryland

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#3 Offline Lou9x9 - Posted August 29 2017 - 8:21 AM

Lou9x9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Yes, they can dig. However, I would recommend letting them decide on their own. Take a tank and line the bottom with pebbles. Put a bunch of eco earth as substrate mixed with Sphagnum moss. Put a couple of dried wood that you can buy off of amazon or most petstores. Plant some plants and spread some seeds around. Put some springtails and isopods in (you can get them off Amazon). But other insect that you think would do well in the ecosystem. That I think would work fine. Please let me know if this was at all helpful. Have fun! Good Luck! Best Regards!

-AntsMaryland

I mostly want to rip off of DspDrew's formicaria here http://www.formicult...ated-3-19-2017/

Edited by Lou9x9, August 29 2017 - 8:22 AM.

#4 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted August 29 2017 - 8:49 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

ok. Sounds good. Good Luck!

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea