• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help! Test Tubes Running Out of Water!!!

test tube water

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 29 2017 - 3:31 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Just what the title says, my colony's test tube is running out of water! There is 5 workers and the Queen and the test tubes water source is almost out! What do I do? I honestly do not have the slightest idea!

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#2 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted August 29 2017 - 3:44 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

This is a very simple procedure. PANIC!

I am just kidding. It is not a big deal. First of all, make a new test-tube set-up. Connect the two test tube lightly together. Make the new test tube dark and shine the light on the other one. Leave them alone and they will eventually move in. Make sure to leave a small gap for air but not big enough so the ants can slip through. Please let me know if this was at all helpful. Feel free to ask me any more questions. Have fun. Good luck! Best Regards!

-AntsMaryland

• Shareallicu, FeedTheAnts and AntPhycho like this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#3 Offline Pleming - Posted August 29 2017 - 4:51 PM

Pleming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

AntsMaryland explained it perfect.

On a side note I never have an issue with the water running low. I just change them when they are moldy.

#4 Offline BMM - Posted August 29 2017 - 5:17 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I've found that heating up the old test tube will really expedite the process of moving them. Obviously be careful not to cook the ants if you do that though.

Edited by BMM, August 29 2017 - 5:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users