• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Feral Ant Worker ID request, Clermont, FL, 28 Aug 2017

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted August 28 2017 - 9:17 AM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Hello everyone! This is my first year of ant keeping (I have a couple of new colonies, and many queens with brood.) and I have an unusual ID request. I just moved to a new house and there are ants... everywhere... In the back yard, in the driveway, in the house, crawling out of every nook and cranny you can find. I believe the majority of them are the same species, mainly by looking at the major workers, as well as the size and color of the minor workers. I took some [very poor quality] pictures of the minor workers and one major worker, as well as a short video just showing a ton of workers crawling up and down a tree. This tree has 5 trunks and all 5 are constantly covered in ants. The area of ground around the base of the tree has a bunch of ant holes/tunnels.

1. Found in Clermont, FL.

2. Photographed on 28 August 2017.
3. Found in suburban area with houses and yards. Minimal trees in immediate area, though there are many wooded areas and lakes within 1-2 miles.
4. Major worker size (pictured on my finger) 3 mm. Minor worker size ~2 mm.
5. All black or dark colored bodies. 
6. Have found nests in cracks between the concrete and the house, and in the ground (no mounds seen, mostly just a bunch of holes/tunnels).

IMG 4238
Album: Feral Ants
7 images
0 comments

Again, I apologize for the poor picture quality. They are very small and, since they are workers, move very fast.

#2 Offline ultraex2 - Posted August 28 2017 - 1:15 PM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Going by the large head, I'm thinking these are Pheidole - not sure on species, though.

#3 Offline LC3 - Posted August 28 2017 - 1:17 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Looks like Pheidole megacephala.

#4 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 28 2017 - 2:47 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Pheidole for sure but as to species, your guess is as good as mine.

#5 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted August 28 2017 - 4:04 PM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Pheidole was my first thought, but I am still just starting out in the hobby. This is basically the only species that I see around my house, and there are so many of them. I guess it is better to be overrun by these than Solenopsis.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users