• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

new callows, not leaving nest to explore?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline russ - Posted August 26 2017 - 9:09 AM

russ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello everyone, 

I am new the the any keeping game and excited to post for the first time.  I have wanted a "real" ant farm since I was a kid.  This summer I caught three queen carpenter ants in northern Vermont.  (I am not sure exactly what genus they are Camponotus mysterious).  I have had them in test tube setups since then (about 2 months) and last week, lo and behold, one had hatched!  Now, I have four workers with a 5th expected soon.  I put together what I thought was a smart way to get them to move to a new, better nest.  I put the opening to the new nest up against the test tube opening.  So now the new nest is between the ants and their out world.  I figured the workers would be forced to check out the new nest on their way to the food in the out world and decided to upgrade their living accommodations.  (I have attached an image.)  However, the baby workers (callows) seem to have very little interest in exploring outside of the test tube setup.  The queen went in once (to my knowledge but apparently was not impressed and has not been back since.)  It was is my understanding they should be out there looking for food etc.  So....should I just wait?  Will they begin to explore?  Or should I take more drastic measures? I don't want them to starve, but I don't want to bother them either.  On the other hand the queen seems little less active than she has been and I am a little worried about her.

Any insight on this matter would be much appreciated.  

Thanks very much!  

• lucas3431 likes this

#2 Offline Studio - Posted August 26 2017 - 10:12 AM

Studio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

One thing you have to learn about this hobby is patience. Some times these ants won't ever do what you want them to do and that's ok. They do whatever they decide is best for them although you can attempt to encourage certain behaviors or a move.

Sometimes when the colony is still young, workers will stay and help the queen nurse the rest of the brood. It's usually not until they become very hungry or until the colony gets a few more workers that they'll start to venture out.

If you're trying to get them to feed them since it's still a very young colony. I'd just put a tiny drop of honey in the test tube itself. Not so much where they leave it for a few days because it can grow mold or an ant can become stuck. 

If you're trying to get them to move into the formicarium. Let the test tube dry out on its own or place a bulb near the end so that it can evaporate quicker. Cover the formicarium to prevent any light from getting in and keep it moist. Eventually they'll move in because they'll need the humidity and prefer the darkness.

Just remember to be patient.

#3 Offline Zeiss - Posted August 26 2017 - 11:03 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I think you mean to say you don't know the species.  Genus is the capitalized part of the title, Camponotus, for example.  Species would be the lowercase section, modoc.  And subspecies would just be another lowercase name following the species. 

Anyways, welcome!  I usually wait to move the colony from a tube until they are looking crowded.  If you do wish to transfer them though, the best thing to do is to make their current set up as uncomfortable as possible for them, and the newer one dark, damp, and welcoming to them.  It may take a few days if you wait for them to do it on their own.  Sometimes, if you need them moved quickly, you can just dump them into the chamber (carefully) and then move the brood with a damp q-tip (which is what I do) or also carefully dump them out.  

#4 Offline Zeiss - Posted August 26 2017 - 11:10 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I'd just put a tiny drop of honey in the test tube itself. Not so much where they leave it for a few days because it can grow mold or an ant can become stuck. 

I don't suggest using only honey drops.  Honey is dangerous to use because it is much easier for ants to get stuck in, especially new workers like the ones in your colony.  From personal experience and the experience of others, sugar water is accepted with much more open legs.  If you do want to use honey, do make sure you dilute it with water.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users