• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Looking for a good Natural formicarium for pogernomyrmex subnitus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Flyingtouchdown - Posted August 7 2017 - 2:14 PM

Flyingtouchdown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi I'm buying a colony of pogernomermyrmex subnitius and I am hoping to keep them in a natural set up. I have looked around the internet and can't find a good option and I would build 1 but I don't know how to hydrate it. If u have any ideas on a good nest to buy or how to hydrate my own nest it would be appriceiated.( this is for when they grow to reasonsble size because they come in a small 1)

#2 Offline Martialis - Posted August 7 2017 - 5:42 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I'm not sure P. subnitus is a legitimate species.

Spoiler

#3 Offline Shaye - Posted August 7 2017 - 7:09 PM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
Pogonomyrmex subnitidus is what I believe he means.

A lot of people just use a tank filled with dirt, hydrating as needed, but you could also attempt to shape a custom home using hydrostone. Hydrating a nest perfectly for long periods of time is not quite a perfected art yet as far as I know. Dspdrew is the closest in regards to long-term hydration (in my opinion). He has a large wealth of formicarium knowledge on this site. Just look at the General Ant Keeping section.

Edited by Shaye, August 7 2017 - 7:15 PM.

• Martialis likes this

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users