• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex Test Tube Set-Up

pogonomyrmex here is a tag test tube

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntswerMe - Posted August 6 2017 - 5:43 PM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida, United States of America

I've heard that Pogonomyrmex ants do better in test tube set-ups with dirt in them than they do without the dirt. Is this true? If so, how would I be able to add dirt to test tubes with Pogonomyrmex badius queens already occupying them? Could I do it or would it be best to leave the queens alone? The four queens I caught a few weeks ago have laid eggs and one even has a few larvae. However, seeing that they have laid eggs just shortly after being caught, and new piles of eggs are appearing, it looks like they are eating the eggs. Above all, what can I do to stop the queens from eating their eggs? Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted August 6 2017 - 6:53 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Read the beginners guide:

http://www.formicult....php/topic/220-

regarding Pogonomyrmex sp. better maybe but I was told they will be fine in just the test tube. If you do use dirt, make sure to sterile it.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#3 Offline Kujawaorchids - Posted August 7 2017 - 3:53 AM

Kujawaorchids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationGolden CO

This is what I do for all my Pogonomyrmex. They love it and produce many eggs/larva. At the entrance of the test tube there is a sponge and a straw. This is cheap and works. You can get these containers at target.

36286275311_a12dd63b76_c.jpgPogonomyrmex test tube setup. by Mikhail kujawa, on Flickr

Mikhail Kujawa

www.KujawaOrchids.com

My pictures on flickr

Lots of ant species!

#4 Offline XZero38 - Posted August 7 2017 - 7:47 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

that's similar to what i do with my pogonomyrmex queens. They are just in a basic test tube setup, with a half cotton ball and a straw so they can enter and exit the tube to get to the outworld to access the food i place there.

#5 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted August 7 2017 - 9:59 AM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

This is what I do for all my Pogonomyrmex. They love it and produce many eggs/larva. At the entrance of the test tube there is a sponge and a straw. This is cheap and works. You can get these containers at target.

36286275311_a12dd63b76_c.jpgPogonomyrmex test tube setup. by Mikhail kujawa, on Flickr

Mind listing the names of the containers from target you use?

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#6 Offline Kujawaorchids - Posted August 7 2017 - 10:06 AM

Kujawaorchids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationGolden CO

They are Ziploc brand Containers.

Edited by Kujawaorchids, August 7 2017 - 10:07 AM.

Mikhail Kujawa

www.KujawaOrchids.com

My pictures on flickr

Lots of ant species!

#7 Offline Kujawaorchids - Posted August 7 2017 - 10:10 AM

Kujawaorchids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationGolden CO

that's similar to what i do with my pogonomyrmex queens. They are just in a basic test tube setup, with a half cotton ball and a straw so they can enter and exit the tube to get to the outworld to access the food i place there.

Nice! It really works well.

Mikhail Kujawa

www.KujawaOrchids.com

My pictures on flickr

Lots of ant species!

#8 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted August 7 2017 - 10:11 AM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

oh ty. What length are your test tubes? standard 150mm?

#9 Offline Kujawaorchids - Posted August 7 2017 - 10:19 AM

Kujawaorchids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationGolden CO

They are 125mm. So I don't think it would fit the 150mm. There might just be a small gap at the end for them to get in.

Mikhail Kujawa

www.KujawaOrchids.com

My pictures on flickr

Lots of ant species!

#10 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted August 7 2017 - 3:08 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

They are 125mm. So I don't think it would fit the 150mm. There might just be a small gap at the end for them to get in.

Mind measuring it for me?

#11 Offline Kujawaorchids - Posted August 7 2017 - 6:15 PM

Kujawaorchids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationGolden CO

From top left to bottom right 140mm. So you would have to buy the small test tubes. 

• StopSpazzing likes this

Mikhail Kujawa

www.KujawaOrchids.com

My pictures on flickr

Lots of ant species!

#12 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted August 7 2017 - 7:41 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

From top left to bottom right 140mm. So you would have to buy the small test tubes. 

damn, thanks man!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pogonomyrmex, here is a tag, test tube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users