• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Artificial Mixed Nests of Ants

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline Spamdy - Posted August 3 2017 - 11:02 AM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

I came across this article, in Adele M. Fielde's book Artificial Mixed Nests of Ants published in 1903, about adding several different species and genera together in a artificial nest, and after a few days of conflict and tension, the ants would get along like one colony, because of the fact that their antenne segments were cut off. I never knew you could actually do something like this before, can anybody who has read this article, and understand why it happens please help clarify some of the points on why this occurs. Thanks in advance.

Here's the article

http://www.journals....10.2307/1535842

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users