• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to remove mites ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Alza - Posted November 2 2014 - 10:21 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Does anyone know easy ways to kill off mites, or let alone tell if you have them ??? I fear some of my argentine ant queens might have them.

Edited by Alza, November 2 2014 - 10:22 AM.

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 2 2014 - 12:32 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I had mites once. They killed one of my four original Formica cf. fusca colonies. Smaller ants are able to pick the mites off of each other, as my original Solenopsis xyloni colony survived that incident. I do not know if this works, but I have heard, "Offer them a little piece of lemon, they will know what to do with it."

#3 Offline Alza - Posted November 2 2014 - 12:41 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

sounds like someone was joking but, worth a shot 

#4 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 2 2014 - 11:14 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Here is some information from the Beginner's Guide on this forum:

Parasites

Sometimes your queen’s parent colony will have a mite infestation, or she picked some mites before you found her, or perhaps some food you gave her was contaminated.  In any case, if you see extremely tiny (like pinhead size) dots on your queen or running around your tube, it’s likely you have mites.  Unfortunately there’s not much that can be done about a mite infestation in ants.  With reptiles, they have mite powders that will dry the mites up without harming your pet, but I’m afraid these products are just as likely to kill your ant(s) as they are to kill the mites.  Fortunately not all mites are detrimental to your ants so it may not be a problem at all.  One thing you can try is offering lemon or orange juice (freshly squeezed from the fruit) on some cotton.  Ants are smart, they know if they have a problem and how to deal with it.  It's possible they'll use the acidic lemon juice to dry out and kill the mites taking care of the problem on their own.  With 1-2 larger mites on a newly found queen, it may be possible to remove the mites with tweezers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users