• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen Ant ID North potomac/ gaithersburg Maryland

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Alex_Ants - Posted July 19 2017 - 5:36 AM

Alex_Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I caught 2 of the queens on July 5, 2017.Yes, that was a while ago but I just found a macro lens I didn't know I bought from five below. Sorry if the pictures are low quality, it was my first time attempting to take pictures with a macro lens (and it was a cheap one). I should be able to take better pictures if needed once I get my new lens form amazon. But back to the ID, they are both fairly light brown with a small black spot under their gaster. Some of the photos are darker then they are because of lighting, and some are a bit lighter because of lighting again. Also, the Queens are approximately 5 MM long, but she might be able to stretch out a bit longer.

First the head shots

gallery_240_896_66531.jpg

The head is a bit blurry in this one but you can see the antennae segments a bit better.

gallery_240_896_87623.jpg

The head is a bit better in this shot

Secondly, Top view shots

gallery_240_896_102281.jpg

gallery_240_896_51378.jpg

gallery_240_896_78429.jpg

This one is closer to her natural color

Lastly the best side view I could get( without disturbing her too much)

gallery_240_896_13369.jpg

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted July 19 2017 - 6:03 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Pheidole bicarinata; nice catches!

#3 Offline Alex_Ants - Posted July 19 2017 - 6:12 AM

Alex_Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Thanks a lot man, I was hoping they were Pheidole of some sort. Luckily my hopes weren't smashed by a proper ant ID

#4 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted September 11 2017 - 5:24 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Thanks a lot man, I was hoping they were Pheidole of some sort. Luckily my hopes weren't smashed by a proper ant ID

You're really lucky. I've been looking for Pheidole queens for years and haven't found any yet. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users