• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Genus/Species Identifiers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Canadant - Posted July 18 2017 - 5:19 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

I'm getting better at identifying genus but struggle with species. I would like to ask this question about identification here as the ID requests Thread is about 'requests' and I'm not really requesting an ID but info form members on their ID tips and tricks.

The question is what is your signal or go-to identifier for each genus?

For example, I can easily identify the Camponotus in my area. They're just larger than every other ant. Tetramorium have two petioles do they not, slightly large heads for their size? Etc.

I have a hard time distinguishing Lasius from Formica. So what is it about ant Genus' that makes you immediately say to yourself "That has to be.....' or 'That looks like....'? 

Can any of you out there share your thoughts? 

Lasius

Formica

Camponotus

Tetramorium

Solenopsis

And others if you wish to share.

Sincerely,

Canadant

"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#2 Offline Canadant - Posted July 18 2017 - 5:24 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Ah... I just found this. Might help others on here. 

Canadant

#3 Offline VoidElecent - Posted July 18 2017 - 5:27 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

http://www.formicult...-batspiderfish/  :P

That's a really neat guide that you found! I'll have to check it out.

Edited by VoidElecent, July 18 2017 - 5:28 AM.

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 18 2017 - 5:51 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
Antwiki and field guides are great for keys.

#5 Offline Canadant - Posted July 18 2017 - 6:14 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

A ink to that site again (Home).

http://theantlife.co...ching-resources

#6 Offline cpman - Posted July 18 2017 - 10:42 AM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
For genus, you can find a good number of keys. I like the one in The Ants because I got it as a gift, and it's pretty good.

For my local area, UT has published a good key that I use. It goes down to species for most genera, which is nice (but some genera need majors, which aren't always available).

For lots of ants in my area and other areas, I can usually get it to genus pretty easily without having to pull out a key (especially most myrmecine ants).

I'm not nearly as familiar with ants from more northern areas, so I tend to avoid threads with those so I don't have to pull out The Ants.

For getting other areas down to species, I use keys I find on antwiki and other places.

Edited by cpman, July 18 2017 - 10:44 AM.

• Canadant likes this

#7 Offline Canadant - Posted July 19 2017 - 9:48 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
I took a look for the book/text/ant bible The Ants, and its expensive. I would assume its filled with a lot of small print and scientific terms? Not that there's anything wrong with that. I hope to grab it someday. And i also hope it has colour photos and good illustrations. Perhaps I'll find it at a yard sale someday.

#8 Offline Alex_Ants - Posted July 24 2017 - 5:43 AM

Alex_Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I took a look for the book/text/ant bible The Ants, and its expensive. I would assume its filled with a lot of small print and scientific terms? Not that there's anything wrong with that. I hope to grab it someday. And i also hope it has colour photos and good illustrations. Perhaps I'll find it at a yard sale someday.

The one by Bert Hölldobler, and Edward O. Wilson? If this is The Ants book your referring to it unfortunately does not have many pictures that are in color from me skimming through it since I'm only on chapter 3, but I think there's a section in the middle with colored photos. The book itself to me so far, seems to be the intro to Myrmecology itself, as it is what my dad started with in high school(even though he branched of to Entomology). But I'm sure you could grasp the general meaning in the most of it if I (a 15 year old) can get the most of it with minimal google searches for word meanings. The most of the second chapter is illustrations of all the known Ant genera when the book is written, as well as keys for the genera, and diagrams of the anatomy of ants. But keep in mind the book was published in 1990.

#9 Offline ultraex2 - Posted July 24 2017 - 10:31 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Lasius - Usually parasitic or fly later in the year

Formica - Fly around July and look like Camponotus except smaller and have 2 bumps on their mesosoma.

Camponotus - Fly around May and are big and have 1 smooth hump in their mesosoma.

Tetramorium - Look like black Pheidole and fly around June.

Solenopsis - Red head/body and a black thorax.  They also look a bit like Pheidole except their head is smaller.

#10 Offline Canadant - Posted July 26 2017 - 1:48 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Awesome, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users