• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's worm bin

worm bin vermicomposting red wigglers

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 25 2014 - 7:54 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
This might look like a tutorial, but it's not. I'm just posting pictures of my DIY worm bin project. Most of it's very specific to the materials and tools that I have, so if anything, it may just give people some ideas.

med_gallery_2_260_391162.jpg

med_gallery_2_260_144519.jpg

med_gallery_2_260_321328.jpg

med_gallery_2_260_388403.jpg

med_gallery_2_260_904459.jpg

med_gallery_2_260_345559.jpg

med_gallery_2_260_27901.jpg

med_gallery_2_260_53514.jpg

med_gallery_2_260_964694.jpg

med_gallery_2_260_61509.jpg

med_gallery_2_260_126029.jpg

med_gallery_2_260_363907.jpg

med_gallery_2_260_605738.jpg

This is what it looked like when it got invaded by some slime mold one time.

med_gallery_2_260_1091032.jpg

med_gallery_2_260_169167.jpg

med_gallery_2_260_271911.jpg

It was quickly eaten by all the mites and springtails.

med_gallery_2_260_136237.jpg

med_gallery_2_260_387448.jpg

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 25 2014 - 8:06 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

That is pretty cool, I would totally grow that slime mold as long as it doesn't grow out of control. ;)

#3 Offline dermy - Posted October 26 2014 - 10:59 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Awesome. I've never had slime mould before, just that fluffy mould that grows around a food pocket. How many worms do you have? I know you lost some didn't you?

#4 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted October 26 2014 - 1:43 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

What exactly are you farming worms for? Fish?

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 26 2014 - 1:49 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Awesome. I've never had slime mould before, just that fluffy mould that grows around a food pocket. How many worms do you have? I know you lost some didn't you?

I lost them all.

What exactly are you farming worms for? Fish?

It's called vermicomposting. The worms eat your garbage, and turn it into very nutrient-rich soil/fertilizer they like to call "black gold".

• BugFinder likes this

#6 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 26 2014 - 1:52 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

What is black gold used for? Is it just a fertilizer?

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 27 2014 - 6:35 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Pretty much. People actually pay a lot of money for that stuff. You add it to your potting soil. The liquid can be poured into your plants as fertilizer also; they call that worm tea.

#8 Offline LAnt - Posted December 2 2014 - 5:13 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
Are you planning on starting it up again?

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 2 2014 - 9:01 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Maybe.

#10 Offline BugFinder - Posted December 21 2014 - 8:13 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Wonderful worm bin.  We have more in common than I originally thought, now i'm going to have to post some pictures of my worms ;)

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 21 2014 - 11:13 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Haha, nice. Let's see them.

#12 Offline BugFinder - Posted December 21 2014 - 11:49 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I have two worm farm setups I use to recycle kitchen waste, and create compost.  One I bought, the other I made from materials I bought, and I love them both.

This one is called the Worm Inn.  I really like it because of how low maintenance it is, how easy it is to harvest castings and compost out of the bottom, and the way it provides leachate, dripping it from the bottom into the bucket below it.  That leachae always supercharges my fruit trees every year, making them explode with fruit.  Disadvantages:  Because of the contact the material inside has with the air on the outside (one of it's best strengths, btw) it dries out fast, and you really have to remember to water it.  The waste you add doesn't provide enough moisture like it does with other worm systems.  I empty the bucket below it into my garden, and I another one near by full of water that has rested (allowed the chlorine to exit the water) that I pour into it.  Within about 24 hours the bucket below is full of leachate.  I do this at least once a week in the summer.  The more the better.  If you let it dry out the worms will die of course.  Not a disaster though if it happens, as when you re-moisturize it, any eggs in there will hatch and you'll be back up and running in a few weeks.

BqVtcLl.jpg

This is my other setup.  I essentially just took rubbermade 18 gallon storage containers, drilled holes the bottom of all but the bottom one, and in the lid for the top one, and nested them inside one another on top of some bricks located in the bottom one.  It has worked great for me for many years generating lots of compost.  Disadvantages:  High maintenance.  Because of the lack of contact the material inside has with outside air, it gets anaerobic pretty fast.  That will sour the system and kill the worms or force them to leave it if allowed unchecked.  To prevent that I toss all the material every week. I have an extra bin that is empty, and I toss one of them into it, and another into that one, and so on until I've tossed all the bins and the last one I tossed is now empty.  That one becomes next weeks empty bin.  That doesn't harm the worms at all, and keeps the system oxygenated, which keeps it cooking along nicely, making lots of compost.  A real advantage to this system is that it is infinitely expandable, just keep adding bins until you have met the needs of your waste stream.  Mine has 5 bins now.  Another advantage:  Because of the heat this baby generates, it cooks compost fast if you keep it tossed weekly.

6fr9JuD.jpg

Edited by BugFinder, December 21 2014 - 11:52 PM.

• dermy likes this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 22 2014 - 1:43 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That's pretty cool. I would have something larger if I had the room for it. Mine has nothing in it right now. I need to get it going again.

#14 Offline dermy - Posted December 22 2014 - 4:55 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

That is an awesome worm inn! I have followed Bentley [have you heard of him?] and his Worm Inn Over-Feeding Challenges.  had a worm bin but the only thing t survive was my Isopods :(

That second bin looks awesome! I want to try that someday with Isopods and see how they would fair vs. Worms.

#15 Offline BugFinder - Posted January 24 2015 - 10:16 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Thanks for the kind words.  

That is an awesome worm inn! I have followed Bentley [have you heard of him?] and his Worm Inn Over-Feeding Challenges.  had a worm bin but the only thing t survive was my Isopods :(

That second bin looks awesome! I want to try that someday with Isopods and see how they would fair vs. Worms.

Thanks for the kind words.  Yes I know of Bentley and love his website!!  It's a small world to find worm lovers among my ant loving friends ;)

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#16 Offline dermy - Posted January 25 2015 - 11:48 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Yes it is I wish my worms survived better [they aren't red wigglers they are "lets see what happens worms" ]

Drew get your bin setup again like me sometime haha!

#17 Offline BugFinder - Posted January 25 2015 - 7:27 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

What is black gold used for? Is it just a fertilizer?

I wouldn't say "just" fertilzier...  The lechate you can get from it is a great fertalizer, but there are so many other uses for it.  The worm castings are full of nutrients and can be added to soil to amend it, or can be used as an awesome seed starter.  It can also be left in the compost you are creating to make wonderful soil.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users