• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New test tubes switch for camponotus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Canadant - Posted July 24 2017 - 12:42 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
I have a four camponotus queens on the go with broods. Two colonies have several nsnitics at the moment. Unfortunately these two colonies were started in test tubes that were quit small. Tge water situation is now almost gone. I have both test tubes connected to larger test tubes with fresh water. However the ants have barely strayed in for a look. As a matter of fact one brood has moved closer to the current rubes water supplt. I'm hoping that when the water dries up they'll just move to the new tubes. Sound right? Both colonies have 4-7 workers (in just 6 weeks!). Thoughts?

Sincerely,

Canadant
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#2 Offline BMM - Posted July 24 2017 - 4:58 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

If you haven't already, cover up the new test tube and put the old one in a well lit spot. That will encourage them to move. Also, if you heat up the old test tube, the ants will eventually move as well. Just be careful and increase the temperature gradually. You don't want to accidentally kill them.

#3 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 24 2017 - 5:07 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I've found that putting them outside where natural sunlight can stream in is more effective than artificial light. Makes sense though, because if they were disturbed in the wild than that is the kind of light that would come in.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#4 Offline Russell - Posted July 25 2017 - 12:10 AM

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationVictoria Canada

I moved a colony of Camponotus over to a new tube tonight by this method. Raped new test tube in dark paper and taped two tubes together. Left under lamp but after several hours had not moved. Moved to window and about 60 min later old tube empty and all eggs moved. 

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus/Modus

Tetramorium sp. E

Formica Podzolica

Lasius Alienus

Lasius Niger

Formica Ravida 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users