• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

T. Sessile

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Guest_chasey11442_* - Posted July 24 2017 - 8:43 AM

Guest_chasey11442_*
  • Guests
Are T. Sessile really that hard to care for?

#2 Offline Ant Broski - Posted July 24 2017 - 9:43 AM

Ant Broski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationNormandy Park, WA

Are T. Sessile really that hard to care for?

They are good at escaping.

#3 Offline BMM - Posted July 24 2017 - 12:14 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I have a colony of about 40-50 workers and they've been pretty easy to care for. They're a little picky about food, but other than that they haven't been too much trouble. However, I have read that their colonies are prone to collapse once they get larger.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#4 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted July 24 2017 - 1:11 PM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

I could be wrong, but one thing I noticed with mine is they really appreciate being fed every day or two. My carpenter ants are pretty easy going, and seem perfectly content with a nice chunk of insect twice a week. The Tapinoma... were not. I stopped giving them fruit flies on the off days and over the following month or so noticed a remarkably large drop in the amount of brood. Ramping up the protein (slowly) fixed it.

They appear simple enough if given a warm spot with plenty of food. Mine don't even have a proper formicarium, just a series of nesting test tubes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users