• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Questions on Feeding

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Soilderp - Posted July 15 2017 - 7:15 PM

Soilderp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCartersville, Georgia
Hey guys, quick question. Would it be possible for an ant colony to get its protein from high quality fish food as Ants Canada suggested? And if so, how many would I need to feed them a week?

Thanks to anyone who answers in advance.

#2 Offline Gabraime - Posted July 15 2017 - 8:33 PM

Gabraime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California
I think fresh bugs are better, even see them eating

#3 Offline fANTastic - Posted July 15 2017 - 9:38 PM

fANTastic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationBurnaby British Colombia, Canada

Well it depends on what species of ants you have. I have a tetramorium sp e and they eat pretty much everything(I give them honey because they like honey and almonds as protein). 

You should try feeding your ants different foods, such as fish food, bugs, and meat(raw and cooked both work).

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 15 2017 - 10:04 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Aside from some harvester or other desert ants, most ants will not touch foods made for fish.  Small insects and a sugar source, such as Sunburst Ant Nectar, are all that is required for a young colony to thrive, in terms of nutrition.

Edited by drtrmiller, July 15 2017 - 10:05 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline Serafine - Posted July 16 2017 - 1:16 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Most ants prefer insects.

Usually only ants that are semi-granivorous or highly versatile (like many semi-nomadic tropical ants) will eat fish food (that doesn't include fish food like raw dry-frozen red mosquito larvae, all ants can eat this and nutritionwise they're actually not bad but usually ants only eat those do when there is absolutely nothing else).

Most non-harvester ants will always prefer insects, especially if they are juicy (not like the dried-out crap you can buy at pet stores).

You also should offer them a bit of salt or salt water from time to time, usually captive ants have a lack of it.

Edited by Serafine, July 16 2017 - 1:17 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users