• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Kent, Washington 7/15/17

Best Answer ace2184 , July 17 2017 - 4:36 PM

I'm thinking of marking this solved. I believer Nathan and MrWeather are correct compared to pictures online. I think in my reluctance to disturb them I was eyeballing the tape measure instead of getting accurate measurements. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ace2184 - Posted July 15 2017 - 3:17 PM

ace2184

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationWashington State
1. Location (on a map) of collection: Kent, Washington. Located about 20 miles south of Seattle, urban setting. Both alates caught during work. First was found in paved back lot. Second was found a couple hours later inside on staircase.
2. Date of collection: 7/13/17 (Thursday)
3. Habitat of collection: Urban/city environment. First was found outside, paved open lot, some areas of gravel/dirt. Second was found inside on staircase.
4. Length (from head to gaster): 3-5mm (Admittedly I just have a crappy tape measure, but they look to be around 4/32 on my tape measure.
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: (The tough part for me) Originally I thought they were black, but they seem to have a red tinge to them. Antenna and legs are lighter, almost a yellow. When closed their wings look to have two dark spots on them.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Nothing credible to add at this time.
7. Distinguishing behavior: Though they both look to be the same species (to me), the first one has a noticeably bigger thorax and abdomen. First one also was more active at time of capture, chewing at cotton when first placed in test tube. Has stopped now.
8. Nest description: No know nearby nests to my knowledge. I've seen some nearby, but not in the immediate area.

If anyone needs more info, I'll do my best to comply.

#2 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 15 2017 - 5:10 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

It seems like Tetramorium, but the measurements would be incorrect.

#3 Offline BMM - Posted July 15 2017 - 5:49 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Based on the pictures, he probably misread the tape measure. It probably reads in 1/16" rather than 1/32". That would put it around 6.5mm, which seems more reasonable

• Nathant2131 likes this

#4 Offline MrWeather - Posted July 15 2017 - 6:25 PM

MrWeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBellevue, WA
Tetramorium sp e. Nice catch! They grow pretty quickly so you should get your first workers in like a month. I'm still looking for the rare pheidole sp queens in Washington though..

#5 Offline ace2184 - Posted July 15 2017 - 8:34 PM

ace2184

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
It is very possible I read the tape measure wrong, though it does have 32nds on it. My first measurement I had 5-6mm, which I thought was too big.

#6 Offline ace2184 - Posted July 17 2017 - 4:36 PM   Best Answer

ace2184

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

I'm thinking of marking this solved. I believer Nathan and MrWeather are correct compared to pictures online. I think in my reluctance to disturb them I was eyeballing the tape measure instead of getting accurate measurements. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users