• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius parasite Tips

lasius parasite

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Reevak - Posted July 13 2017 - 8:58 PM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

I recently came across two parasitic Lasius queens and considering that they are the 3rd and 4th parasitic Lasius queens that I have found, I decided to try and start a colony from them.

Here are some images of one of the two queens.

para lasi
para Las

Someone has identified them to be either Lasius latipes or Lasius murphyi, but I am not really that concerned with which one they are exactly because I can't tell the difference. If you can from my poor images then please say, but it is not relevant to this post.

The point of this post is to get any and all tips that could help me in my attempt to create a successful ant colony with these queens. All advice for their care is appreciated!

#2 Offline Hikari - Posted July 13 2017 - 10:00 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

This is the thread I was linked to when I found my Lasius parasite queen:

http://www.formicult...cial-parasites/

#3 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 14 2017 - 6:55 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Your queens are Lasius murphyi, which fly in the summer.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#4 Offline ultraex2 - Posted July 14 2017 - 7:52 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Patience - I managed to get 1 parasitic Lasius to lay eggs, but it took at least 1.5 months after the host species accepted the queen.  I fed them occasionally and one day after I checked there was a ton of eggs in there.  The refrigeration method seems to work the best - it's not a bad idea to keep them in there for up to 3 days, too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius parasite

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users