• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Yet another new ant simulation game!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Roachant - Posted November 22 2015 - 3:05 PM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada
There seem to be a lot of these coming out these days. This one looks pretty good, way better than what I did.

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=557145123

I'm glad people are taking some more serious attitudes about ants!

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 22 2015 - 5:07 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I thought it was a lot of talent gone to waste on a rebadging of standard RTS fare—except instead of soldiers and tanks, you have ants, and bases are below ground.  I donated £1 and left a comment as such on their Kickstarter page.

Until someone who actually keeps and studies ants comes up with an ant game that appeals to the core reasons why so many people are fascinated by ants, such games won't really win the hearts and souls of the people who continue to see Sim Ant as the legend that it still is today.

Edited by drtrmiller, November 22 2015 - 5:09 PM.

• Mannomorth likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted November 22 2015 - 5:29 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

i saw this earlier today, it looks awesome!!!

#4 Offline Vendayn - Posted November 23 2015 - 10:55 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I'm still waiting for a sandbox-style ant game. Like sim ant, but much bigger (since games are bigger and far more evolved since sim ant was out).

Every ant game so far is for kids or like empire for the ants. More like company of heroes style ant games, singleplayer missions and you can't expand or spread or anything fun that you could do in sim ant.

The only ant game I kinda like that is sorta modern (its been out a while), is ant wars, but that is for kids and not very advanced at all lol. But it is fun on my smart phone when travelling.

Edited by Vendayn, November 23 2015 - 10:55 PM.

• drtrmiller likes this

#5 Offline Roachant - Posted November 25 2015 - 7:20 AM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada
Well, I have high hopes that these games will be fun and educational at least a little bit.
The real prize would be an honest to god simant style game done using only accurate scientific info.
The trick is to make such a game fun to play and not get tedious after a while.
I'm anxious to see how well these games do and what the final versions would be like because I have put my ant sim game on hold to work on another project.
  • drtrmiller and Mannomorth like this

#6 Offline Mdrogun - Posted November 25 2015 - 8:00 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

I thought it was a lot of talent gone to waste on a rebadging of standard RTS fare—except instead of soldiers and tanks, you have ants, and bases are below ground.  I donated £1 and left a comment as such on their Kickstarter page.

Until someone who actually keeps and studies ants comes up with an ant game that appeals to the core reasons why so many people are fascinated by ants, such games won't really win the hearts and souls of the people who continue to see Sim Ant as the legend that it still is today.

I saw this game and thought it was incredible. Why does it have to appeal to the core reasons why people keep ants? Lots of people like RTS's and I think this is a cool new approach. 

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 25 2015 - 8:05 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Because if the theme wasn't based on ants, it'd be a mediocre game.
  • Mannomorth likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#8 Offline Mannomorth - Posted November 25 2015 - 8:39 AM

Mannomorth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationGothenburg, Sweden

I have to agree with Miller here, there wasnt really anything new brought forward in this title, now trying their hardest to simulate the real lifecycle of a colony would be new and intriguing.

There are many better RTS's out there and the only sellingpoint of this game seem to be "look there are ants". No thanks, I'm sticking to Grey Goo until a REAL ant sim come out, then you won't see me for a couple of months.

The trick is to make such a game fun to play and not get tedious after a while.
I'm anxious to see how well these games do and what the final versions would be like because I have put my ant sim game on hold to work on another project.

Ill rather have tedious God Game than just a subpar RTS.

Edited by Mannomorth, November 25 2015 - 8:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users