• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Kanyes Aphaenogaster fulva

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kanye2020 - Posted July 6 2017 - 12:36 PM

Kanye2020

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationIowa

I caught a small colony of aphaenogaster fulva. How i got them well to be honest just by chance i was walking down my alley way towards my house i had been looking for tetrimorium queens since i knew they had flown the day before as i had found 3 live males. I had no luck finding them then as i was half way down the alley way i saw a ground hog hole, i saw 2 tiny pieces of wood on the mound of dirt around the ground hog hole. So as i am calling it quits on finding a tetrimorium queen due to the fact that it was going to rain soon. i look at one of the pieces of wood and saw a tiny hole underneath it so i think well maybe there is a queen under it. So as i flip it over i see some workers and lots of brood so the first thing i do is look for the queen as i scan through it i see one that looks noticeably bigger than the rest some i catch it in a test tube, then i go for the workers and brood. i got most of the brood there is around 20-30 of eggs and cocooned brood all mixed together. there was 15 ish works as i could see and i took 7 as the rest ran off and i had ran out of test tubes to catch them in. As i took them home i put the workers in to this formicarium https://tarheelants....micarium-type-ithey are already picking up the brood and running around then i put the queen in there. They all started taking the brood and placing them inside the cave part of the formicarium which was really cool to watch them build them up into a pile.I will keep you updated if anything else happens. Also would reccomend a mini hearth from the link in this story.

#2 Offline Kanye2020 - Posted July 7 2017 - 10:30 AM

Kanye2020

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationIowa

So today early this morning some where around 10 am a new worker was hatched in the colony 7/7/2017. I have a feeling that more are to come soon as i can see some brood is turning a slight brown as if there exoskeleton is hardening.

#3 Offline ultraex2 - Posted July 7 2017 - 11:08 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Can you post pictures?

I also caught a wild colony of at least some type of Aphaenogaster and they're growing like crazy.  

#4 Offline Kanye2020 - Posted July 7 2017 - 8:38 PM

Kanye2020

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationIowa

Ultraex2 yes I will get some pictures up hopefully tomorrow. I am currently trying to only do a head count 1 time a day and leave them alone and not stress them out. I also just feed my colony some pieces of chicken and they loved it and ultraex2 if you want to boost and or give your colony a treat just cook some chicken for your self and pick off a tiny strand and put it in there out world. Then watch them take it lol. But yes hope fully some pictures will be here by tomorrow. And i have decided to just get it done now lol.

Edited by Kanye2020, July 7 2017 - 8:42 PM.

#5 Offline Kanye2020 - Posted July 7 2017 - 8:58 PM

Kanye2020

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationIowa

19732111_400509437011962_406453515405334

Edited by Kanye2020, July 7 2017 - 9:02 PM.

#6 Offline Kanye2020 - Posted July 7 2017 - 9:03 PM

Kanye2020

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationIowa

And yes that is the queen on the ceiling above the brood.

#7 Offline Kanye2020 - Posted July 14 2017 - 10:59 AM

Kanye2020

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationIowa

7/14/2017 My Apeanogaster colony have boomed in population there is now 20 workers and still tons of brood. I have been feeding them crickets and it seems to be the only thing i can get them to eat they don't like sugars at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users