• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex Housing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 29 2017 - 2:01 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

I ordered some acrylic boxes, 5x5x5 inches and made this setup for a pogonomyrmex  barbatus queen once she gets her nanitics. Does this look like a place they would like to nest in? 

jcGeg

Just a few questions I really need answered as well:

1. Is a room tempature of 70 - 75 degrees F a tempature that is idle for them?

2. Do you recomend that I put a heat pad under half of the box or below the entire thing?

3. I have a spray bottle of water to moisturize my natural nests. What fraction should I spray of the ground and how often?

If you can answer all of those questions, I truely thank you! :)

#2 Offline AntswerMe - Posted July 2 2017 - 11:26 PM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida, United States of America
The image won't load for me for some reason. I'll try again until I can get it to work.

For the room temperature, I would keep the in 80°-85° temperatures if not higher, for faster growth.

In order to have a heat gradient through the nest, so the ants can put their brood in the optimal locations, having a heating pad under half the nest would be better for the ants.

With my Pogonomyrmex badius, I just spray one side of the nest until it is rather damp, (but not soaked or parched, if it looks and feels wet, then you're good) but leave the other side dry, so there is also a humidity gradient. Every few days or so, I alternate and water the other side, and every once in a while I may also shift the heating pad too.

Edited by AntswerMe, July 2 2017 - 11:28 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users