• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Quick Survery

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 27 2017 - 12:12 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Just a little survey if you care to answer - 

What is the speices of ant that dominates the other species in your local area? (can be invasive or non-invasive)

Listing your city would be nice but if you don't want to that's fine, too. Thanks!

Katy - Solenopsis invicta, and just Solenopsis in general.

#2 Offline Cameron C. Thomas - Posted June 27 2017 - 12:24 PM

Cameron C. Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

Species that occur most frequently in an area vary by the vegetation community, structure, soil, and ambient environmental conditions--even within short distances.

Certainly there are species that occur frequently in developed areas (TetramoriumTapinoma, and the like, or Solenopsis in the southeast), but once you get away from people, it's highly variable. Just around Vancouver, WA, we have both short and tall grass prairies as well as coniferous and mixed forests. Each of these habitats have unique ant communities with their own sets of common and rare species, and I can move further into rocky beaches to the west or montane environments to the east followed by sagebrush steppe beyond that--all with unique communities. It really just depends on where you're standing.

Edited by Cameron C. Thomas, June 27 2017 - 12:31 PM.

• Martialis likes this

#3 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted June 27 2017 - 12:33 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Strangely enough, despite the fact that I live in Tennessee, there are not many Solenopsis colonies around. that doesn't stop me from catching a lot of their queens though ;). The ant that mostly dominates is Tapinoma sessile and in the more wooded areas various species of Aphaenogaster. Also, I might add that there is also a large species of Crematogaster that also dominates wherever it is, it just isn't in that many places around our property. But if it was then it would be the most dominant species. 

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#4 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 27 2017 - 12:44 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Where I am in rural Northern Massachusetts... Camponotus pennsylvanicus are the major ones here, however I live in the woods; large property lots but not a lot of grass.  Next up is Lasius sp (SO many types of Lasius...), then Tetramorium, followed by a few different Formica sp. I've seen Camponotus americanus, Myrmica, Myrmecina, Ponera, and Dolichoderus.  There are other unidentified ones as well.   I haven't knowingly seen any recently introduced invasive species.

I've noticed in the last couple years an influx of Tetramorium colonies, however, with limited open areas, not sure they will really out-compete the local species.  In all my anting, I've only seen a couple Tetramorium queens on the property, but vast majority are Camponotus sp and Lasius sp by far.

The crazy thing is along my driveway, there's a few apparently key strategic locations, as if I pick a square foot of ground, I can almost always see 4-6 different species often within it foraging; tbh not sure why.

#5 Offline Ant Broski - Posted June 27 2017 - 1:03 PM

Ant Broski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationNormandy Park, WA
Tetramorium caespitum dominates most of my area (Normandy Park) except for the parks where Formica cf. fusca species dominate.

Edited by Ant Broski, June 27 2017 - 1:03 PM.

#6 Offline cpman - Posted June 27 2017 - 1:30 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

It depends -- various Pheidole, Crematogaster laevisucula, various Camponotus, and Solenopsis (both S. invicta and S. geminata) are all really common and fairly dominant around here. In more open areas, its the Pheidole or Solenopsis. More wooded areas have the Crematogaster and Camponotus.

Under a mile from here, it is virtually only Solenopsis invicta.

It seems like the dominant species are pretty much dependent on how disturbed the area is and how open it is.

Of course, those aren't the only ants you see (unless you are in one of the areas that is entirely dominated by RIFA). There are lots of other species and genera, but they aren't dominant. For instance, Leptogenys elongata, Pachycondyla harpax, Cyphomyrmex sp., Monomorium sp., Pseudomyrmex sp., and many others are seen occasionally.

I actually see a fair amount of Leptogenys -- they're still fairly common, even in disturbed areas, as they prey on isopods -- even the Armadillium sp. that are very common in disturbed areas. They're also big and conspicuous.

There are lots of species around here (Travis CO has many species and the fauna has been studied very well), especially in areas that haven't been completely torn up (like the Barton Creek greenbelt or Wild Basin). Lots of the suburbs and the center of the city are pretty much only RIFA though.

This is Austin, TX.

Edited by cpman, June 27 2017 - 1:34 PM.

#7 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 27 2017 - 3:31 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Species that occur most frequently in an area vary by the vegetation community, structure, soil, and ambient environmental conditions--even within short distances.

Certainly there are species that occur frequently in developed areas (TetramoriumTapinoma, and the like, or Solenopsis in the southeast), but once you get away from people, it's highly variable. Just around Vancouver, WA, we have both short and tall grass prairies as well as coniferous and mixed forests. Each of these habitats have unique ant communities with their own sets of common and rare species, and I can move further into rocky beaches to the west or montane environments to the east followed by sagebrush steppe beyond that--all with unique communities. It really just depends on where you're standing.

It depends -- various Pheidole, Crematogaster laevisucula, various Camponotus, and Solenopsis (both S. invicta and S. geminata) are all really common and fairly dominant around here. In more open areas, its the Pheidole or Solenopsis. More wooded areas have the Crematogaster and Camponotus.

Under a mile from here, it is virtually only Solenopsis invicta.

It seems like the dominant species are pretty much dependent on how disturbed the area is and how open it is.

Of course, those aren't the only ants you see (unless you are in one of the areas that is entirely dominated by RIFA). There are lots of other species and genera, but they aren't dominant. For instance, Leptogenys elongata, Pachycondyla harpax, Cyphomyrmex sp., Monomorium sp., Pseudomyrmex sp., and many others are seen occasionally.

I actually see a fair amount of Leptogenys -- they're still fairly common, even in disturbed areas, as they prey on isopods -- even the Armadillium sp. that are very common in disturbed areas. They're also big and conspicuous.

There are lots of species around here (Travis CO has many species and the fauna has been studied very well), especially in areas that haven't been completely torn up (like the Barton Creek greenbelt or Wild Basin). Lots of the suburbs and the center of the city are pretty much only RIFA though.

This is Austin, TX.

Yeah, no surpirse there. It's the same case in Katy, the farther you go from people the more diverse it is.

#8 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 27 2017 - 3:33 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Where I am in rural Northern Massachusetts... Camponotus pennsylvanicus are the major ones here, however I live in the woods; large property lots but not a lot of grass.  Next up is Lasius sp (SO many types of Lasius...), then Tetramorium, followed by a few different Formica sp. I've seen camponotus americanus, Myrmica, Myrmecina, Ponera, and Dolichoderus.  There are other unidentified ones as well.   I haven't knowingly seen any recently introduced invasive species.

I've noticed in the last couple years an influx of Tetramorium colonies, however, with limited open areas, not sure they will really out-compete the local species.  In all my anting, I've only seen a couple Tetramorium queens on the property, but vast majority are camponotus sp and Lasius sp by far.

The crazy thing is along my driveway, there's a few apparently key strategic locations, as if I pick a square foot of ground, I can almost always see 4-6 different species often within it foraging; tbh not sure why.

I wish pennsylvanicus dominated Katy. They're extremely rare, unless you're on undisturbed land far from people.

• noebl1 likes this

#9 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 27 2017 - 3:34 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Tetramorium caespitum dominates most of my area (Normandy Park) except for the parks where Formica cf. fusca species dominate.

Tetramorium are a species that live in Katy, but so far I can't seem to find them. I've never even seen a worker.

#10 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 27 2017 - 3:36 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Strangely enough, despite the fact that I live in Tennessee, there are not many Solenopsis colonies around. that doesn't stop me from catching a lot of their queens though ;). The ant that mostly dominates is Tapinoma sessile and in the more wooded areas various species of Aphaenogaster. Also, I might add that there is also a large species of Crematogaster that also dominates wherever it is, it just isn't in that many places around our property. But if it was then it would be the most dominant species. 

That's a pretty simular species list to Texas, except those are uncommon here in Katy. 

#11 Offline AntswerMe - Posted June 27 2017 - 4:26 PM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida, United States of America

In my area, Solenopsis invicta (being the infamous invasive species it is) dominates much of the area. walking on a sidewalk I see mounds every dozen feet or so. Pheidole obscurithorax, Brachymyrmex patagonicus, and Paratrechina longicornis are pretty common as well and are also invasive. Native species like Dorymyrmex bureni and  tree-dwelling Crematogaster ashmeadi are also very common however and I see them pretty much everywhere I go.

#12 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 27 2017 - 5:07 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

In my area, Solenopsis invicta (being the infamous invasive species it is) dominates much of the area. walking on a sidewalk I see mounds every dozen feet or so. Pheidole obscurithorax, Brachymyrmex patagonicus, and Paratrechina longicornis are pretty common as well and are also invasive. Native species like Dorymyrmex bureni and  tree-dwelling Crematogaster ashmeadi are also very common however and I see them pretty much everywhere I go.

All of those species are very dominant in my area except for the Paratrechina longicornis. Pheidole bicarinata are everywhere here too. In open areas their tiny nest entrances are all over the ground.

#13 Offline AntswerMe - Posted June 28 2017 - 9:52 AM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida, United States of America

In my area, Solenopsis invicta (being the infamous invasive species it is) dominates much of the area. walking on a sidewalk I see mounds every dozen feet or so. Pheidole obscurithorax, Brachymyrmex patagonicus, and Paratrechina longicornis are pretty common as well and are also invasive. Native species like Dorymyrmex bureni and tree-dwelling Crematogaster ashmeadi are also very common however and I see them pretty much everywhere I go.

All of those species are very dominant in my area except for the Paratrechina longicornis. Pheidole bicarinata are everywhere here too. In open areas their tiny nest entrances are all over the ground.
Yeah the P. longicornis have a huge (probably dozens of queens as mature colonies can have very many queens) colony around a pool near me. And I see them everytime I go to it. Also around the pool is a large Camponotus floridanus colony that becomes very active at night. Right outside of my house are some vases that contain some Pheidole bicarinata and Pheidole navigans as well. Technomyrmex difficilis has a presence too and a colony of them is also nesting by one of the vases.

Edited by AntswerMe, June 28 2017 - 9:57 AM.

#14 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 28 2017 - 10:38 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

In my city we also have the invasive Odontomachus haematodus that can be found pretty easily when looking at the base of trees in shaded areas. Trachymyrmex septentrionalis is very common, however seem to be most active in the spring while they are excavating and expanding their nests. I find Cyphomyrmex rimosus (invasive) to be commonly found nesting in shaded areas very close to Pheidole dentata colonies for whatever reason.

#15 Offline sgheaton - Posted June 28 2017 - 11:02 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

North-Eastern-ish Colorado distributor of Tetramorium and Pogonomyrmex! Leave your sweaters at home because our deals are hot, hot, hot!

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#16 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 28 2017 - 11:37 AM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Parathechina longicornis are findable here, but pretty uncommon. I've never been able to steal workers and a queen from a colony.

#17 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 28 2017 - 11:38 AM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

In my city we also have the invasive Odontomachus haematodus that can be found pretty easily when looking at the base of trees in shaded areas. Trachymyrmex septentrionalis is very common, however seem to be most active in the spring while they are excavating and expanding their nests. I find Cyphomyrmex rimosus (invasive) to be commonly found nesting in shaded areas very close to Pheidole dentata colonies for whatever reason.

The only species in that list that I've ever heard of is Pheidole..  :X

#18 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 28 2017 - 11:39 AM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

North-Eastern-ish Colorado distributor of Tetramorium and Pogonomyrmex! Leave your sweaters at home because our deals are hot, hot, hot!

Planning on moving there in five years from now. Glad to hear there's Pogonomyrmex up there. I know invicta doesn't live there, but is Solenopsis sp. a common sight?

Edited by Ants_Texas, June 28 2017 - 11:41 AM.

#19 Offline cpman - Posted June 28 2017 - 11:46 AM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

In my city we also have the invasive Odontomachus haematodus that can be found pretty easily when looking at the base of trees in shaded areas. Trachymyrmex septentrionalis is very common, however seem to be most active in the spring while they are excavating and expanding their nests. I find Cyphomyrmex rimosus (invasive) to be commonly found nesting in shaded areas very close to Pheidole dentata colonies for whatever reason.

The only species in that list that I've ever heard of is Pheidole.. :X

Cyphomyrmex rimosus isn't really invasive like S. invicta. It is introduced though.

It's a tiny fungus growing ant that grows yeast on caterpillar feces and bits of plants. It's pretty common in the warmer parts of the country (it may actually be the most common fungus grower where I am). They are pretty minute and unintrusive in my experience. They may be outcompeting native Cyphomyrmex wheeleri and other native attines, but I'm not sure.

Trachymyrmex is another fungus grower. They're larger and mostly use plants. They don't cut leaves, but are very closely related to the leafcutters.

Odontomachus is a large "trap-jawed" ant. There are a couple species in the US. I know there are supposedly native ones around where I am (I haven't seen them though -- they seem to be less common than Leptogenys and Pachycondyla or are less tolerant of disturbances).

#20 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 28 2017 - 11:49 AM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

In my city we also have the invasive Odontomachus haematodus that can be found pretty easily when looking at the base of trees in shaded areas. Trachymyrmex septentrionalis is very common, however seem to be most active in the spring while they are excavating and expanding their nests. I find Cyphomyrmex rimosus (invasive) to be commonly found nesting in shaded areas very close to Pheidole dentata colonies for whatever reason.

The only species in that list that I've ever heard of is Pheidole.. :X

Cyphomyrmex rimosus isn't really invasive like S. invicta. It is introduced though.

It's a tiny fungus growing ant that grows yeast on caterpillar feces and bits of plants. It's pretty common in the warmer parts of the country (it may actually be the most common fungus grower where I am). They are pretty minute and unintrusive in my experience. They may be outcompeting native Cyphomyrmex wheeleri and other native attines, but I'm not sure.

Trachymyrmex is another fungus grower. They're larger and mostly use plants. They don't cut leaves, but are very closely related to the leafcutters.

Odontomachus is a large "trap-jawed" ant. There are a couple species in the US. I know there are supposedly native ones around where I am (I haven't seen them though -- they seem to be less common than Leptogenys and Pachycondyla or are less tolerant of disturbances).

I've never seen Cyphomyrmex before, but they sound a lot like Leafcutters. Trap-jaws live in Texas but I've never seen them as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users