• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ant ID Victoria BC Canada July 2 2017

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antman120 - Posted July 2 2017 - 11:58 AM

Antman120

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
1. Found in my yard in Victoria BC- west coast of Canada
2. Caught in August of last year. Waited till this spring to lay eggs.
3. Back yard
4. 9mm long.
5. Dark brown almost black with rings on abdomen. One petiole. Long antennae
6. Laid eggs that hatched but didn't get past the pupa stage. Still moves the pupae around her test tube so not sure if they are dead or not.

http://i50.photobuck...zpstsrpgmnt.jpg

http://i50.photobuck...zpsthobsiyz.jpg

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 2 2017 - 5:01 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Formica neogagates
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 2 2017 - 5:19 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Formica neogagates

Those maxillary palps tell me otherwise. Is Myrmecocystus testaceus possible?

Edit: Oh wait that's her leg :lol:

Edited by Nathant2131, July 2 2017 - 5:20 PM.

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 2 2017 - 5:32 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I think she is actually a Formica sp. from the fusca group, although she looks more like a silhouette than anything.

Sadly, those pupae look super dead. She will need help starting over in a clean test tube to have any chance (i.e. periodic feedings on a tray, sugar and protein).

Edited by Batspiderfish, July 2 2017 - 5:33 PM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#5 Offline Russell - Posted July 2 2017 - 5:58 PM

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationVictoria Canada
Can't be sure as I am new but that looks like the Formica podzolia I have been finding in Victoria. The eggs are dead for sure so put here in a new test tube and feed her and see if she produces more. Right now in Victoria I am finding Formica podzolia, Tetramorium Sp. E which are slightly smaller and very small Tapinoma Sessile. I have found all three species in the last week and vurturally are have been fertile.
In May I found Camponotus at Gorge Park.
Thetis lake on the very far right hand side Trails has Formica ravida but I have yet to see queens but should be soon.

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus/Modus

Tetramorium sp. E

Formica Podzolica

Lasius Alienus

Lasius Niger

Formica Ravida 

#6 Offline Antman120 - Posted July 2 2017 - 8:45 PM

Antman120

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for all the replies. I will move her into a new tube and give her some food. Hopefully she will keep laying.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users