• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Termite Reproductive question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted June 29 2017 - 1:07 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

A few winged termite reproductives have been turning up at my black light. I'm wondering if I should catch a couple to raise and sell. I don't know very much about termites, how much do reproductives typically sell for?

Edited by Bracchymyrmex, June 29 2017 - 1:34 PM.

• Tyler_Fishman likes this

#2 Offline Vendayn - Posted June 29 2017 - 1:38 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

65q24g4g5f

Edited by Vendayn, March 9 2018 - 7:00 PM.

#3 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 29 2017 - 1:40 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

We found this winged reproductive black lighting in Kyburz, California, not Pennsylvania. Thanks Vendayn for the detailed response.

#4 Offline Vendayn - Posted June 29 2017 - 2:12 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

65q24g4g5f

Edited by Vendayn, March 9 2018 - 7:01 PM.

#5 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted June 29 2017 - 6:24 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

This is the kind of discussion I would love to see on the "Termite Rearing Thread"! as for the Termitat, I didn't know they came with reproductives. that is unbelievably awesome!!!

#6 Offline Vendayn - Posted June 29 2017 - 6:34 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

65q24g4g5f

#7 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted June 29 2017 - 7:18 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

This is the kind of discussion I would love to see on the "Termite Rearing Thread"! as for the Termitat, I didn't know they came with reproductives. that is unbelievably awesome!!!

Officially they do not, nor is the other site supposed to either. 

However, they send nymphs/workers and sometimes soldiers. The young workers AND the nymphs, maybe even the older workers (not entirely sure on that part)...they can transform into reproductives and produce a viable colony. Often times out reproducing a colony with only a single queen. However, Dampwood termites themselves actually don't have a true worker caste. They have nymphs, reproductives and soldiers. So, them not sending "reproductives" feels more like a loophole style phrase than anything, since legally they (pretty sure) wouldn't be able to send actual reproducing termites. Possibly it means they do not send the actual queen and male, but for Dampwood termites, that actually matters little when the nymphs can turn into reproductives anyway. 

Its possible its mostly overlooked because (at least for Dampwood termites), they need a VERY niche environment to live in and the chance of them becoming invasive is near 0%. Subterranean termites that one store sells is a bit different though, because Subterranean termites often can live in quite a variety of environments. Though for Subterranean termites, I don't think the older workers can actually turn into reproductives. So if the store only sells older ones, probably would never reproduce. Still, them selling Dampwood termites that can (very easily in captivity) reproduce feels like a loophole to me, since they'd be sending them to various states that would otherwise not even have them.

I wonder if any of the experts on the forums have anything to say about it, or if its just one of those things that isn't a big deal because Dampwood termites need such a niche environment. Though thinking about it, I can still imagine them doing good in a place like Florida (like the Drywood termites are doing good there last I read, and they aren't from there at all).

Thanks for responding. I did some research of my own and arrived at the same conclusion. I even found the official website. I had know idea that they costed that much though!!!

#8 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted July 23 2017 - 7:11 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

When I first saw that journal on the termitat, I noticed the reproductive nymphs right away. I'm surprised that the termitat seller manages to slip by the USDA regulations.

• ctantkeeper likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#9 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 24 2017 - 6:20 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Gonna follow this thread. I collected about 30 termites a little over a month and a half ago and they've been living in a standard test tube setup with dirt since then. No deaths, and they're active in the tube. Wondering how/when/if i'll ever get a queen from the bunch.

#10 Offline Vendayn - Posted July 24 2017 - 12:15 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

65q24g4g5f

#11 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 24 2017 - 12:50 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Gonna follow this thread. I collected about 30 termites a little over a month and a half ago and they've been living in a standard test tube setup with dirt since then. No deaths, and they're active in the tube. Wondering how/when/if i'll ever get a queen from the bunch.

In my subterranean termite colony I had (that did really well), they started with about 500 workers/soldiers and took 6-7 months to produce nymphs. I hadn't checked on them in a while though, so it could have been 4-5. The ones that come in the termitat (the dampwood termites) I guess are as quick as less than a month (though they probably include reproductives so doesn't really count). In any case...

I assume since they are in dirt they are subterranean termites though, and if they do well, should see signs of a reproductive in a few months. If you got them from a mature colony, its better to start with 100+, but they should still produce a reproductive at some point. Especially if you got any nymphs with them, which makes it a lot more likely. Older workers/soldiers (pretty sure of this) are less likely to molt into a reproductive.

Thank you very much. I think I'm going to order some of the termites that come with the termitat, especially if they'll produce reproductives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users