• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Powdered PTFE

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lilsxph - Posted June 27 2017 - 8:26 AM

Lilsxph

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

I recently ran out of PTFE and in an effort to save money bought powdered PTFE. Will it work the same way and if so should i mix it with water and how much?

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 27 2017 - 9:11 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Fluon is made from a micro-powder of uniformly sized PTFE in an aqueous dispersion. The water is used to distribute the particles on surfaces to form a uniform, thin film coating.

Let us know how your experiments work out.

Edited by drtrmiller, June 27 2017 - 10:56 AM.

• sgheaton likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline sgheaton - Posted June 27 2017 - 9:21 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Molarity!

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#4 Offline JasonD - Posted June 27 2017 - 2:14 PM

JasonD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

There is no way that water will dissolve PTFE. You might be able to get a dispersion using an organic solvent or an emulsifying agent (soap). The intermolecular forces of PTFE are extremely low so entropy is going to dominate mixing, which means that higher temperatures will help immensely. But if you're using an organic solvent heating is likely to cause it to spontaneously combust.

Soap and hot water might be your best bet, but you'll have to shake like crazy and apply immediately. Organic solvent + soap might be better, but do you really want to start messing around with dangerous chemicals to get this to work? Probably not. 

Be careful. I'm not a chemist, and you should do your own research for safety. MSDS is a good way to start. Always work in a ventilated area.

• liufen001 likes this

#5 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 27 2017 - 5:13 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

There is no way that water will dissolve PTFE.

Your safety points are important, though PTFE is only a real danger when it comes into contact with a flame.

As far as dissolving goes, there are only two ingredients in commercial Fluon: one is the PTFE and the other is a surfactant. So yeah, it's possible the surfactant is needed to form the suspension; though I would note that the MSDS indicates its function is that of a pH buffer to prevent microbial growth. I imagine the materials scientist at any fluoroplastics shop would have better insight than any of us.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#6 Offline sgheaton - Posted June 28 2017 - 5:42 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

*cough* Emulsion *cough*

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#7 Offline Solatido - Posted May 23 2020 - 10:47 AM

Solatido

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNew York
Has anyone had any luck with the powdered PTFE?

I'm just getting into the hobby and trying to decide if I can go with the powder PTFE instead of the liquid. I'm kinda hoping I can just mix with a bit of water as needed rather than emulsify a large batch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users