• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help starting Tapinoma sessile colony issues?

help starting tapinoma sessil

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline Russell - Posted July 8 2017 - 9:41 PM

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationVictoria Canada

Hi All

I need some help regarding founding a Tapinoma sessile colony. I have 3 other ant species queens doing great but every time we find a winged Tapinoma sessile queen they never lay eggs or if they do they fail shortly after as then don't care for them. 

So Today we found a line of the workers relocating a nest (or establishing a bud off one) with more queens then we could count. We decided to suck up a few queens and workers and try founding a colony with these established queens. Since the queens could be beyond the founding stage and may not feed them selves we took workers from the line to go with them. I set a few up with single queen with workers and several with multiple queens with workers. 

Now my question is what is the best procedure from here?. 

Workers and queens need food, but should I let them settle for a few day?.

When I feed do I feed them in tube for now(largest group is 3 queens and 6 workers)?. Or do I set there tube with an outworld forage area?. 

Thanks for any advise.

Russell 

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus/Modus

Tetramorium sp. E

Formica Podzolica

Lasius Alienus

Lasius Niger

Formica Ravida 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users