• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Question about heat regulation in a nest

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Bugdaddy - Posted December 20 2017 - 8:28 AM

Bugdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationColorado, United States

Hey, guys! So I have a Tetramorium Sp E/Immigrans, which when out of hibernation, I was originally planning to keep them at room temperature, 70F or  or 21C. But  I think when I wake them up in february, I'll gradually raise their temperatures to be about 75 F/ 25 C

Now, for thermostats and/or Thermometers... How do you regulate and/or monitor those temperatures? I would imagine most accurately, one with a probe and stick it into the nest. But how do you guys keep track for temperatures in the nest?

PS: I'm not looking for heating OPTIONS, just for the monitoring of the temperatures. I'll most likely use a heat pad/tape/cord.

"And it was to my infinite despair and pain... That it was not the hornets that made honey."

#2 Offline anttics - Posted December 20 2017 - 11:11 AM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
carefully. I have read horror stories of colonies dying after hibernation due to rapid heat increase. I'll suggest leaving them at room temp. they take a few weeks to get to normal. do not rush it. after the queen awakes you can heat them up with a pad or cable. I have never raise ants that hibernate. I have read a lot about it. hopefuilly some experience antlers will give you more advise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users